The diyAudio First Watt M2x

Joined 2021
Paid Member
...and 2 mV in the other channel, after 30 minutes :)

PSX_20221002_194336.jpg

The 22V secondaries will tend to make higher voltage +/– rail voltages for your amp. Some front ends will be tolerant of the higher voltage, others not so much. How you adjust the final rail voltage is very dependent on the PSU boards that you are using. If they are CapMx style (such as SLB), then 22V secondaries are just right. If they are CRCRC or CLCRC, probably also just right. If simply CRC, then you might consider increasing the R portion to set the final rail voltages where you like.

Joined 2021
Paid Member
And now real listening, connected to my main system... I'm speechless.
Even so, after just a few hours, this amp is a dream :love:
It replaces my Cambridge 851W immediately.
My only fear was the relative low sensitivity of my Manzanita, but the amp can drive it to my listening volume.
Soundwise... as I wrote, a dream. Big stage, broad, deep, high. The instruments are well defined and placed, this is almost live.
The deeps are really deep, with wonderful mids and refined and crisp highs. Not the slightest trace of harshness.
I'm delighted :worship::love:

PSX_20221004_142111.jpg

PSX_20221004_142147.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
And now real listening, connected to my main system... I'm speechless.
Even so, after just a few hours, this amp is a dream :love:
It replaces my Cambridge 851W immediately.
My only fear was the relative low sensitivity of my Manzanita, but the amp can drive it to my listening volume.
Soundwise... as I wrote, a dream. Big stage, broad, deep, high. The instruments are well defined and placed, this is almost live.
The deeps are really deep, with wonderful mids and refined and crisp highs. Not the slightest trace of harshness.
I'm delighted :worship::love:

View attachment 1096516

View attachment 1096517
Pretty cool setup- what is this 'double dual rail power supply, THE SOURCE'? A quick google ends up more or less empty. Is this something you built?

Joined 2021
Paid Member
I worry about the large and very heavy heatsink, creating a big cantilever force that might rip out the one and only anchor. But I'm not a mechanical engineer so my opinion is, um, inexpert.

_
Thanks Mark, but as there is almost no tilting vector force (the sum of the downward and backward vectors has a deviance of about 3-4° from the perpendicular), it almost impossible to rip out the anchor. It will take 2-3 weeks until I can finish the chassis, so it has to last until then :deerman:

Joined 2021
Paid Member
After about 20 hours of listening/burning in...
I'm in the process of rediscovering my music collection and it tells everything. With this amp, the instruments have a response behavior that was previously unknown to me. The whole thing sounds... different. Much better different. My best power amp so far :love:
Many thanks @Nelson Pass for everything, @Mark Johnson and @6L6 Jim for this iteration of the amp, and of course @ everyone on the forum for the help and support :cheers:

Reactions: 2 users