The diyAudio First Watt M2x

Joined 2011
Paid Member
The top secret location of the highly classified and closely guarded M2x schematics, is revealed in post #1. However you must actually read that post, and not merely scan over it or skim it briefly. As my close personal friend Francis Bacon wrote in 1602: "Read to weigh and consider."

I bought 50 pieces of Panasonic 0R47 3W resistors back in January, and since then they have become Not Recommended for New Designs.

I have an un-opened box of this item(1,000 pcs ex DK) if the DIYAUDIO store wants to stock them. Leftover from the era in which I was supplying kits of parts for the F5.

Edit -- DK will make ribbon cables to order if one wants to try several mother-daughter combinations.

Last edited:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Jack - One of those F5 kits started my whole path down the build guides!

My kit had GR grade Toshiba jfets and I needed to add a lot or resistance to the bias circuit. Understanding and overcoming that one small change made me learn a lot about these circuits and also how to make things work instead of blind paint-by-numbers. I look back at that build fondly. :) :) :)

The top secret location of the highly classified and closely guarded M2x schematics, is revealed in post #1. However you must actually read that post, and not merely scan over it or skim it briefly. As my close personal friend Francis Bacon wrote in 1602: "Read to weigh and consider."

yes it is written MOUNTAIN_VIEW - A single ended, class A unity gain buffer circuit design, using the J112 JFET made by Fairchild

and on a partial picture of the schema I can see the output of this buffer with 2x KSC3503 and 68r emitter resistor, the rest is truncated

Joined 2011
Paid Member
That's funny, just now, 30 seconds ago, I tried the experiment with five different web browsers: Safari (Mac), MS Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Firefox, and Opera.

For each of the different browsers, I made sure I was not logged in, and then viewed post #1. In every single case, the attachment ("M2X_Schematics_and_BOMs.zip") was visible. Of course it was not downloadable, since I wasn't logged in, but I could see there was an attachment and I could read its name.

Dear Mark, your eyesight and keyboard skills are outstanding for someone who lived in 1602! I applaud your enthusiasm to learn new technology
Chapeau!

And more seriously.
Many Thanks Both, I have been waiting for this M2X
:eek:

Is the plan to stock kits like ACA or boards and BOMs and when can I buy?
cheers
B

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hi there,
Would it be possible to get the Gerber's for the daughter board? I thought it might be fun to knock out a few extra designs for buffers. Off the top of my head, a diamond buffer or a sub miniature tube front end might be fun. :)

Edit - just the spacing and dimensions would do ;)

Last edited:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Tom V - yes, of course!

aspringv - well, one of those is already in the works... :) :) :) I'd ask Mark for the dimensions, it's a very simple and easy footprint.

BeardyWan - Yes, it will make it to the store in the not-too-distant future, though most likely not as a full kit. PCBs first and then maybe some parts kits.

For the less patient, Mark has a small set of boards he is going to sell soon, PM him and get your name on his list. :D

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Here's what the daughter cards look like. Size is 40mm x 35mm, bolts are metric M3. Centers of bolt holes are inset 4mm from edge, except pin #3 which is intentionally asymmetric. This makes it very very difficult to install the card in a wrong orientation. (Nothing is impossible if you have a big enough hammer).

Leave some extra copper surrounding the bolt hole, where the star washer and the hex nut will go. Especially if your daughter card is simple with very few components, there's no reason not to have big surrounds and big clearances to neighboring traces.

_

Attachments

• BandW.jpg
    BandW.jpg
    338.4 KB · Views: 3,189
Last edited: