Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

The diyAudio First Watt M2x
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd September 2019, 07:40 PM   #2491
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

avdesignguru,

Thanks for sharing listening impressions. What speakers are you using?
Old 3rd September 2019, 09:39 PM   #2492
TungstenAudio is offline TungstenAudio  United States
diyAudio Member

The Norwood is the only one of the canonical IPS that I haven't built yet. That may change soon. I'm hoping there is a relatively straightforward way to give it about 6 dB of gain. That would put it on even footing with the other high current IPS that I have built.

I love the open and detailed sound of the Austin have have felt no desire to tweak it in any way. Except maybe to give those poor output devices some extra heat sinking ability. The Mountain View has undergone more than one variation in my laboratory. I'm currently enjoying it with a metal can 2N4416A as the input, an LM4040 voltage reference and the output KSC3503 goosed to a little higher quiescent current. Never mind that the Austin was laid out to encourage component substitution, and the Mtn View not as much.
Old 4th September 2019, 01:35 AM   #2493
avdesignguru is offline avdesignguru  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
avdesignguru,

Thanks for sharing listening impressions. What speakers are you using?
Mid-1980s ADS L980 12" 3-way studio monitors set up in 500 Hz biamp mode. Loudspeakers have a 12" sealed box woofer, 2" dome midrange and 3/4" dome tweeter. They feature precision matched drivers in a mirror image configuration designed for near field monitoring. The loudspeaker woofer input is straight to the voice coil in biamp mode but the mid-high input retains the passive high pass components.

A DIYstore LX Mini ACN crossover, modified for 500 Hz 2-way operation, is configured with a single section 12 dB/oct Butterworth high pass output. This adds to the internal loudspeaker's 12 dB Butterworth passive filter to yield a Linkwitz-Reilly 24db/oct slope for the mid-highs. The low pass output is configured using both filter sections for a total 24 dB/oct LR slope at 500Hz to the woofer.

Preamp is a B1 Korg Xmas Version with Toshiba JFETS (thank you Papa). Mid-high amplification is either the F6 or the M2x. Low frequency amplification is a mid-1980s QSC USA 370, which is a passively cooled class AB amplifier of about 110w/ch and still rockin' hard after 30+ years of heavy use. The Behringer A500 is essentially a copy of the highly reliable QSC design (albeit with plastic output devices instead of metal TO-3s) but that amp has been replaced with the Class-D A800, currently unavailable in our country, probably due to Trump's trade war with China.
Old 4th September 2019, 04:22 PM   #2494
scranton is offline scranton  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Johnson View Post
Try the OPA1611, also built by Burr Brown in Tucson. It's only sold in SMD but the bare Tucson PCB has a footprint for it, and you can use thru hole components for all the others.
After you try the OPA1611 its hard to get the desire to try anything else. Just added the B1Korg and it has enhanced an already fantastic sound. Thanks again for a fantastic project.

Last edited by 6L6; 4th September 2019 at 08:06 PM. Reason: fix formatting
Old 4th September 2019, 08:05 PM   #2495
MEPER is offline MEPER  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I experimented using a real preamp instead of a passive pre. I found the Starving Student II quite good. I tried both CCS and classic mode. I prefer classic mode with M2X. Have to listen more......but very nice combination and sound!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_4037_00001.jpg (389.1 KB, 352 views)
Old 4th September 2019, 08:07 PM   #2496
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Starving Student makes a wonderful linestage. Very nice headphone amp as well.
Old 5th September 2019, 10:04 AM   #2497
diyAudio Member

Yes, I can confirm that and my tube shields makes it completely silent (I have no "Earth" in the outlets).
Old 10th September 2019, 10:07 AM   #2498
Eimantas is offline Eimantas
diyAudio Member

Can somebody tell me what is expected price for parts without amp case for M2x (including power supply)?
Old 10th September 2019, 06:00 PM   #2499
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eimantas View Post
Can somebody tell me what is expected price for parts without amp case for M2x (including power supply)?
A general rule of thumb for most Pass 25w Class A amps is about $600 to $750 including chassis, and depending on quality of the components such as resistors and electrolytic caps and film caps, and how you handle the chassis (self-DIY or DIYA audio store or Aliexpress, etc). This is not including special amps that have a certain level of "unobtanium" in them like 2SK170's etc.

So without chassis, subtract $250 for a typical 4U 300mm DIYA Store UMS Dissipante case.

or about $350 to $500, YMMV.

Your price can easily be $1000 to $1500 if you go with dual chassis monoblocks with separate trafos, PSU's, case, etc.
Old 11th September 2019, 06:47 AM   #2500
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
Hi Meper,

Starving student is a nice preamp. Lots more of H2/3 though and you have plenty on the M2X already (circa 0.06%).

Have you tried the Aksa Lender or Melbourne?
X

I have never tried Aksa Lender or Melbourne. I used Passive pre which also sounded very good. It sounded so good that I did not expect the Starving student to sound better. I think the output level of the SS is quite low when I use in on M2X (9 o'clock vol setting plays quite loud) so at these low levels the SS probaby have not as much H2. The input impedance of the M2X Tucson is much higher than a headphone so a power amp is easy to drive for the SS.....so a bit lower H2 than used with a headphone…...properly? …...could be interesting to measure.
With SS I had a feeling of deeper bas.....but it may be an imagination.

The diyAudio First Watt M2xHide this!Advertise here!