Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

The diyAudio First Watt M2x
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th July 2019, 07:56 PM   #2311
MEPER is offline MEPER  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk Dynamite View Post
Just curious; for the individuals that have built dual monos; when using two trafos on a single IEC, does the fuse rating change? Does the thermistor rating need to change also?

If the thermistor is a "CL-60 like" you can use it for both small and large transformers.

The other question may have some answers…..but two trafoes (one for each channel) on same IEC then the fuse has to be larger than if you only have one trafo (half VA size) for one channel on the IEC. Primary fuse is often dictated by in-rush current which can be very large if you don't have any in-rush limiter but with CL-60 you should be able to rate the fuse after how much power (current) you pull from trafos during operation......and then add some to have a safety margin…..and remember to use slow fuses in primary.
Old 9th July 2019, 08:06 PM   #2312
Blk Dynamite is offline Blk Dynamite  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEPER View Post
If the thermistor is a "CL-60 like" you can use it for both small and large transformers.

The other question may have some answers…..but two trafoes (one for each channel) on same IEC then the fuse has to be larger than if you only have one trafo (half VA size) for one channel on the IEC. Primary fuse is often dictated by in-rush current which can be very large if you don't have any in-rush limiter but with CL-60 you should be able to rate the fuse after how much power (current) you pull from trafos during operation......and then add some to have a safety margin…..and remember to use slow fuses in primary.

Ok just for an example, say you have a trafo that is 225va and using on a US grid would need ~2A slow blow fuse (which is the bar min. if you double up on that trafo on one IEC it would need at least a 4A but given the safety margin a 6A slow blow would be cool? This is also assuming using a CL 60 type.
Old 9th July 2019, 08:27 PM   #2313
diyAudio Member

Try first with 4A and if it can take the in-rush then just keep that. Worst thing that can happen is that the fuse blows. The right fuse is probably the smallest rating slow fuse that can take the in-rush current. The 2A may be just fine.....or even smaller.
Old 9th July 2019, 08:33 PM   #2314
joshua43214 is offline joshua43214
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk Dynamite View Post
Ok just for an example, say you have a trafo that is 225va and using on a US grid would need ~2A slow blow fuse (which is the bar min. if you double up on that trafo on one IEC it would need at least a 4A but given the safety margin a 6A slow blow would be cool? This is also assuming using a CL 60 type.
Depends on what your local voltage really is, and the rating should be max, not min,
225VA/120V = 1.875A
225VA/110V = 2.045A
2A is a bit too high if you have 120V mains. The issue with this scenario is the transformer is under-rated for stereo though fine for mono.

in my case
400VA/120V = 3.333A, I use a 3.1A slow blow, and a C-60 current limiter.
Old 9th July 2019, 08:37 PM   #2315
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Try first with 4A and if it can take the in-rush then just keep that. Worst thing that can happen is that the fuse blows. The right fuse is probably the smallest rating slow fuse that can take the in-rush current. The 2A may be just fine.....or even smaller.

Cool thanks. Thinking about building something for my pops and was just going over some ideas.
Old 9th July 2019, 08:38 PM   #2316
joshua43214 is offline joshua43214
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Maybe someone who knows code can address this, but I am pretty sure this is not OK.

I believe each transformer would need to be individually fused at the correct rating. A single 4A fuse could allow one transformer to overheat badly before blowing the fuse.
Old 9th July 2019, 08:39 PM   #2317
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua43214 View Post
Depends on what your local voltage really is, and the rating should be max, not min,
225VA/120V = 1.875A
225VA/110V = 2.045A
2A is a bit too high if you have 120V mains. The issue with this scenario is the transformer is under-rated for stereo though fine for mono.

in my case
400VA/120V = 3.333A, I use a 3.1A slow blow, and a C-60 current limiter.

My area runs hot so I get 120 w an occasional drop to 117 during summer or winter. Weather here in TX is all over the place so the grid can be all over the place. Thanks for the insight
Old 9th July 2019, 08:46 PM   #2318
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua43214 View Post
Maybe someone who knows code can address this, but I am pretty sure this is not OK.

I believe each transformer would need to be individually fused at the correct rating. A single 4A fuse could allow one transformer to overheat badly before blowing the fuse.

Geez ok. I guess i'll read what other say to get a handle on the proper approach to this.
Old 9th July 2019, 08:54 PM   #2319
diyAudio Member

You are right that best thing is to have individual fuse pr. transformer. But I see many builds that have two transformers to a single IEC where fuse is in the IEC connector. So it happens in real life also in commercial equipment.
Old 10th July 2019, 05:33 PM   #2320
Nelson Pass is offline Nelson Pass  United States
The one and only

If the fuse value is adequately small to protect a single transformer of the two, then
you should be fine. Generally audio power transformers are run at a fraction of their
rating.

The diyAudio First Watt M2xHide this!Advertise here!