Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

The diyAudio First Watt M2x
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st January 2019, 02:48 AM   #1291
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stablgr View Post
Just as I've managed to get all the parts I need to build my M2x, my circumstances have somewhat changed. We're moving to a new house and SWMBO (she who must be obeyed) has expressed a very strong desire for a wireless sound system throughout So I now find myself heading in the direction of needing a really nice headphone amp so I can retire into my own little musical world without disturbing anyone else.

As a total novice in this area I think I have a relatively simple question. After having spent the time, effort and money on buying all the parts for the M2x, rather than hooking up a pair of loudspeakers to it can I use it to drive a pair of headphones directly if I add a volume pot to the input of the amp? Please don't shoot me down too harshly if this is a really stupid idea. I guess my other option would be to build a Whammy, but it would be a shame not to put all the M2x parts to good use.

Many thanks,
Gary
trade your M2 hardware , go buy Whammy thingie and build it

or even better - go buy Whammy thingie and build it , leave M2 parts in closet for better times ......
Old 21st January 2019, 06:50 AM   #1292
batty is offline batty  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod View Post
trade your M2 hardware , go buy Whammy thingie and build it

or even better - go buy Whammy thingie and build it , leave M2 parts in closet for better times ......
I like this idea
Old 21st January 2019, 07:33 AM   #1293
MEPER is offline MEPER  Denmark
diyAudio Member

If the wireless system is B&O with Beolab 90 as the main speakers in the system then maybe the price level may let your wife change position!

Wireless...….ok......for the living room…...but it should be possible for the man in the house to get a room in the celler or another place in the house where he can "play"!
Old 21st January 2019, 04:28 PM   #1294
Mazeppa is offline Mazeppa  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEPER View Post
If the wireless system is B&O with Beolab 90 as the main speakers in the system then maybe the price level may let your wife change position!

Wireless...….ok......for the living room…...but it should be possible for the man in the house to get a room in the celler or another place in the house where he can "play"!
Man up and start here.
Was in a similar position a few years ago for space of my own in the house. Wife resisted my initial suggestions, so I came on with "Look, baby, I know the house is primarily the woman's domain, but I live here too."
Now she still has most of the house, but I do have an area for my stereo and listening to it.
B&O prices are indeed impressive, even frightening. However instead of being heavy handed, may I suggest she get hers in the living room.
She lives there, too.

ZM's advice for Plan B.
Old 21st January 2019, 06:05 PM   #1295
darrr is offline darrr  Poland
diyAudio Member

Will Amp camp chasis be enough for M2X?
Old 21st January 2019, 06:06 PM   #1296
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

nope
Old 21st January 2019, 06:44 PM   #1297
kstagger is offline kstagger  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrr View Post
Will Amp camp chasis be enough for M2X?
As ZM said - no. A lot more output device dissipation with the M2x (and more power output). To my eyes looks to be 4U (minimum) or 5U chassis - the more heatsink the better!

And not to mention the size of the PCB and power supply components wouldn't fit inside the ACA chassis.

And really, $339USD for the Deluxe 4U chassis is a bargain considering the quality and pre-drilled holes. That's the route I'll be going when I get the M2x bug; enjoying the Alpha J too much right now.
Old 21st January 2019, 07:57 PM   #1298
Mark Johnson is offline Mark Johnson  United States
diyAudio Member

Here is the eBay chassis that I used for an M2x build. Price was $141.55 for the chassis plus $59 for shipping to California, USA. Total $201.55.

I had to drill and tap 9 holes in each heatsink: 7 holes to mount the PCB on the heatsink, plus 2 holes to bolt the output transistors to the heatsink. This drilling and tapping gave me an excuse to purchase a drill press which I had been coveting for quite some time. I also had to make a rectangular cutout on the rear panel, to accommodate the IEC mains inlet module. Drilling & hand-filing took care of that in a couple hours.

It appears the eBay chassis prices have risen, perhaps due to Trade War tarriffs or perhaps some other reason. So the money you save by purchasing a Chinese chassis and doing all the drilling and tapping yourself, compared to buying a pre drilled chassis from the diyAudio Store, is less than it used to be. On the other hand, doing it yourself is fun! And you have my permission to purchase a bunch of new tools, if you think you want/need them. BTW a tapping kit for M3 holes only costs about $25. And a can of Tap Magic is another $7 or so.

_
Attached Images
File Type: png chassis_price.png (29.9 KB, 205 views)

Last edited by Mark Johnson; 21st January 2019 at 08:01 PM.
Old 21st January 2019, 08:52 PM   #1299
joshua43214 is offline joshua43214
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stablgr View Post
Just as I've managed to get all the parts I need to build my M2x, my circumstances have somewhat changed. We're moving to a new house and SWMBO (she who must be obeyed) has expressed a very strong desire for a wireless sound system throughout So I now find myself heading in the direction of needing a really nice headphone amp so I can retire into my own little musical world without disturbing anyone else.

As a total novice in this area I think I have a relatively simple question. After having spent the time, effort and money on buying all the parts for the M2x, rather than hooking up a pair of loudspeakers to it can I use it to drive a pair of headphones directly if I add a volume pot to the input of the amp? Please don't shoot me down too harshly if this is a really stupid idea. I guess my other option would be to build a Whammy, but it would be a shame not to put all the M2x parts to good use.

Many thanks,
Gary
I know one has to pick your battles, but a full house wireless system is not incompatible with having a nice listening area. If SWMBO won't tolerate speakers in the living room, then... well...there are options

In the end, my wife and I divided up the house, I got the inside, she got the outside. Now all the spare bedrooms, the office, and basement are all my domain. Was kind of expensive but worth it in the end...

All that said, I agree with the others about getting a Whammy, and storing the M2x
Old 22nd January 2019, 12:08 AM   #1300
darrr is offline darrr  Poland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Johnson View Post
Here is the eBay chassis that I used for an M2x build. Price was $141.55 for the chassis plus $59 for shipping to California, USA. Total $201.55.

I had to drill and tap 9 holes in each heatsink: 7 holes to mount the PCB on the heatsink, plus 2 holes to bolt the output transistors to the heatsink. This drilling and tapping gave me an excuse to purchase a drill press which I had been coveting for quite some time. I also had to make a rectangular cutout on the rear panel, to accommodate the IEC mains inlet module. Drilling & hand-filing took care of that in a couple hours.

It appears the eBay chassis prices have risen, perhaps due to Trade War tarriffs or perhaps some other reason. So the money you save by purchasing a Chinese chassis and doing all the drilling and tapping yourself, compared to buying a pre drilled chassis from the diyAudio Store, is less than it used to be. On the other hand, doing it yourself is fun! And you have my permission to purchase a bunch of new tools, if you think you want/need them. BTW a tapping kit for M3 holes only costs about $25. And a can of Tap Magic is another $7 or so.

_
Inne Poland it will be too expensive than from Italy. Which version is better - aluminum or steel?

The diyAudio First Watt M2xHide this!Advertise here!