Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

The diyAudio First Watt M2x
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Today, 05:45 PM   #1121
nicoch58 is offline nicoch58  Europe
diyAudio Member

it is
Old Today, 06:06 PM   #1122
MEPER is online now MEPER  Denmark
diyAudio Member

How does this type of amp behave if you use a rail fuse for +24V and -24V and one of the rail fuses burns? …...will the output go either +24V or -24V?
Is some kind of speaker protection needed in this case?
Old Today, 06:13 PM   #1123
Mark Johnson is offline Mark Johnson  United States
diyAudio Member

Serious reply, not joking:

Try it! Connect dummy 8 ohm load resistors to the outputs, connect shorting plugs to the input, then use insulated plastic pliers to quickly yank out one of the rail fuses. Measure what happens. You may want to enlist a couple of friends to take cell phone videos of the measuring instruments (DVMs, oscilloscopes, whatever) for two or three minutes after the fuse pull.

Second reply, also not joking:

Have a look over in the other, older, thread started by Nelson Pass in 2015. Maybe this experiment has already been performed and results already discussed.
Official M2 schematic
Thanks to the presence of coupling capacitor C2 on the amplifier main board, the input stage plays no role in the amplifier's behavior when a rail fuse blows. It'll do the same thing no matter which daughter card is installed. It'll do the same thing even if NO daughter card is installed.

Last edited by Mark Johnson; Today at 06:18 PM.
Old Today, 06:27 PM   #1124
MEPER is online now MEPER  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Thank you!
I will have a closer look at the original thread and see if I can find the result of the experiment. But I think I can read "between the lines" that nothing bad happens at the output. So no need for a relay at the output and some smart way to cut if a rail fuse burns…..I am just in a state where I prepare the built. Not started yet…...

The diyAudio First Watt M2xHide this!Advertise here!