400A blew rail fuse

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I purchased this amp in 1979 along with an SL10 preamp. These have been used at least weekly for the past few decades. This weekend I turned the amp on and after a few minutes the right channel stopped playing and all the LEDs for the right channel display lit up. There was a low level hum from that channel. The right channel heatsink was cold. There was no smoke or burnt smell. A day later I found that the right 4A rail fuse was blown. I removed the top cover and saw no signs of a burnt or overheated component. If this was any other component, I would replace the fuse and try and to turn it on. This amp is too precious to me so I wanted to consult the experts here before I did anything.
This amp failed in the 90's and was repaired by the factory. They had a flat $150 repair fee and it was repaired as good as new. I had a warning that something was amiss then as the lights in my livingroom began to dim on loud music passages. I stupidly ignored this until it failed. That time there was smoke.I have been worrying about this very same thing happening again since it has been about 20 years since the repair and have read all the threads about 400A reconditioning. Where should I go from here?

I have a question regarding output transistors. I have read in a couple of threads where the ON semi MJ21195G and MJ21195G were used with success. When I googled replacements for the originals the MJ21193 and MJ21194 were suggested. I studied the data sheets and there are no obvious differences to me. The 93 94 are nearly twice the price here in Canada. Is there any significance to this. Are they better quality or better matched. I have decided that I want to refurbish the amp and replace age sensitive parts.

I can start by removing the original transistors one at a time in the bad channel and testing. If I find one or more to be blown then what? The originals are an obsolete part and in one thread Jon Soderberg stated that used working replacements can't be depended on for a lasting repair.

I'd start checking the output transistors as you described. If, I say if, you find blown OT transistors I am pretty confident someone will suggest the adequate replacement/upgrade.

Edit: That means changing them all if 1 is shot, in my book at least..

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.