Thanks Nelson

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Nelson

I know you're a very busy man and won't have time to answer lots of msg's so I understand if you just take the thanks part of this message!

First of all, I like countless others offer thanks and gratitude for the unselfish work you do for the diy audio community, too many times we see people with your skills just take and take, for me this is refreshing so thanks for being you.

I've just been watching a couple of your video seminars and realized you must have tried hundreds of amp configurations...... I've made a few amps over the years that have been in the diy arena, even though I could probably afford some of the really good gear I enjoy building and trying to optimize my system.
My current system uses 4 ACA's driven with minidsp for my mid/hf horns, a DSP bass amp drives the bass. I think it was zenmod who suggested I could replace the output caps for something better than electrolytic as we only needed FR down to 500hz, this improved things further.

Now comes the questions.....
I know the ACA was meant as a starter project, do you have any better designs you could share in the <5w range? My horn's are around 115db so very little power required.
I'd also like to replace the minidsp with your new xover, I realize it won't have DSP capability but will there be any way to tweak the FR for a non linear driver? Or in your opinion is it better to leave a few peaks and dips rather than eq the hell out of the signal? I like the minimalist approach, the less we interfere the better right?

Sorry msg got a bit longer than planned! Anyway keep up the good work we appreciate your support.

Regards Dave

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
:cheers:

Flattery will get you anywhere.....

Perhaps a nice single-ended version of a follower? Very easy to do.

Maybe ZM or Mike will put one up. ;)

The first crossover coming does have EQ on top and bottom, as it was set
up for the LXmini. On the top, there is a notch to take out a peak in the
driver, and on the bottom there is boost at the lowest frequency, and
both of these are variable with choice of resistors and capacitors. This
one has fixed values, but I will have another one which is variable,
pretty much delivering the performance of the B5.

:)

This was the answer to my question the other day.

Attachments

• B1_Schematic.jpg
    B1_Schematic.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 899
Or, try F2 lite. Just like an ordinary F2, just replace the CSS withh the lightbulbs. With 19v or 24 v supply, maybe you could get a 2-3 w one. Super simple, has some gain, and it has magic ;)
And yes, thank you Nelson for all amps and bright ideas :cool: :worship:

Nothing wrong with giving credit or thanks where it's due. Too many of us just take without giving a thought to the work that happens in the background. This goes for many aspects of life.

Ok, will keep watching with interest.

Cheers

for high efficiency compression horns from 500Hz (in my case 115db JBL 2360 + 2446j) the small MoFo seems ideal.

I would not go below 15V Psu to avoid stray capacitance of the mosfet? Have read here on this forum.

And loaded with small air core inductor (3mH) or light bulb (800mA bias)?

speaking about the B1 buffer as a base to build high pass filter for the active rossover, could it be possible to use the MoFo as the buffer for the high pass filter?

using 2 capacitors in series with the input of hte MoFo and the resistor tapped in the middle of the 2 capacitors to the output of the MoFo?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.