Thanks Nelson

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wow! With that sort of efficiency, you could get away with a 12V MoFo, maybe even battery powered. With a nice tube pre, Bob's your uncle. :)

Still looking and thinking about the next project.... The MoFo looks a cool project but I think it needs a pre with a large voltage output, correct?
I was hoping to use my DAC output to drive the amp as I'm currently doing. Or if I have to use a pre then I'd need something that could drive the MoFo and the Berhringer amp that I use for my bass section.

So would there be other good low power options that can be feed directly with line level from my DAC?

Thanks Dave

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
lemme see ....... you wrote in post #1 , that 5W is magic figure

that's roughly 18Vpp

if we divide that with 2 then 1.41 , that's 6.36Vrms

so , any gain stage capable of 9db gain and 18Vpp output signal , will do the job , considering regular 2Vrms output of digital thingie

you can insert that gain stage in between active xover and follower amp , so no unneeded swing strain on xover circuit

lemme see ....... you wrote in post #1 , that 5W is magic figure

you can insert that gain stage in between active xover and follower amp , so no unneeded swing strain on xover circuit

Hi ZM , I don't use an active xover (waiting for the new B4) the DAC drives the power amps direct. The bass amp has DSP so that provides the low pass and I have a passive xover on the mid/hf amp.
What I've read about the MoFo (I may have it all wrong though...) tells me the DAC won't have enough drive to by itself. Maybe I've misinterpreted what's been written or haven't expressed my intention clearly enough, wouldn't be the first time for me. Just saying the my bass amp which is a power amp only doesn't need a pre amp but the MoFo will, if infact the DAC won't drive it directly.

Just trying to keep the signal chain to the bare minimum.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.