Short in F5T

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there,
I have built one channel of the F5T and tested with the main light bulb. Unfortunately, the bulb did not dim after start up and became brighter. I did test the PSU without load and there was no issue.

There does not seem to have any physical shorts on the boards. I will check again tomorrow.

I measured the resistance of the speaker output and it is 47.5K Ohms whereas my Arcam integrated amp was OL. Is this normal?

What else can I check?

TIA

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Make sure the bias pots are turned all down all the way. Measure ohms across R5 and turn P1 so those ohms read the minimum you can get it to

Do the same with R6/P2

Reconnect power and see if lightbulb does same thing.

That you tested PSU and fond no issue (an hopefully good voltage rails) is a good sign.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
for start - are trimpots in min position (shorted across pins ?)

if amp is biased even just 50% , bulb will not go dim m simply because amp is drawing current

so , condition for first start is , set trimpots to short , thus output mosfets not conducting

edit: toobhead was faster :)

dunno for that resistance ...... not overly informative , so I usually don't care for it , except in case of dead short

care to post some pictures ?

checked trice orientation of power rails , parts position , resistor values, mosfet/heatsink isolation ?
Here you go. How do I know if the PSU has a dead short? 20180331_215928.jpg 20180331_215905.jpg 20180331_215841.jpg 20180331_215829.jpg 20180331_215822.jpg

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
sorry , didn't read properly your last post , thinking wrong that you asked ( again ) for impedance reading from output node to GND , as you already asked

anyway - no proper reading between rails and gnd ....... it goes from dead short , rising as your ohmmeter is filling PSU caps

not seeing much on your pictures ..... can you post proper ones , 1600xsomething pixels ?

checked what I wrote ?

thermistor legs not making shorts with washers ?

sorry , didn't read properly your last post , thinking wrong that you asked ( again ) for impedance reading from output node to GND , as you already asked

anyway - no proper reading between rails and gnd ....... it goes from dead short , rising as your ohmmeter is filling PSU caps

not seeing much on your pictures ..... can you post proper ones , 1600xsomething pixels ?

checked what I wrote ?

thermistor legs not making shorts with washers ?

Sorry, I realized my photos did not come up nicely. Let me take again during the day.

Will check the thermistor legs too.

ok, i got both channels built up and did the light bulb test. The

I started biasing the right channel first with one turn on P1 and P2 and the bulb began to glow. Suddenly, the bulb became brighter and i thought I saw smoke coming out from the other channel!! Even though there wasn't any bias applied to it.

Yikes, quickly power off the amp, what could be wrong?

no bulb tester after initial test !

you can't bias bloody thing , with rails choked!

back up pots , remove bulb tester , try again

two DVMs , as per building guide

Yes sir, I thought I read that I could do an initial bias with it. I take away the bulb gig.

I have started it again, this time with one channel at a time - seems that the smoke hasn't come up again. LOL.

you really didn't read any (of myriad) posted setting procedures?

final Iq and output DC offset setting is in thermal equilibrium , which means - with top lid on

so , pull lid off , re-set , put lid on , wait for temp stabilizing , observe values

repeat if needed

Sorry if I sound that I didn't but I did. What I am asking is typically how much does the drift normally occur? I will make sure I cater for that and not set it too high a bias in case there is a thermal runaway and cook the amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.