F2J clone Build thread

Another good dummy load 16R 120w: 16 Ohm 120W Power Resistor | MPJA.COM

Stack them in parallel, two for 8R at 240w, four for 4R load at 480w, put a switch in the middle as shown. They turn a little yellow as you get them hot enough to singe your fingers...

Attachments

• DummyLoad.jpg
    DummyLoad.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 557
Last edited:
I don’t know how to define tiny since I don’t know what is considered normal. I was reading the idea was to simulate a pure resistive load so zero inductance is the goal. Is it possible in real life .. not sure!
So I went with what claims as non inductive from parts express.

I don't know how to define "tiny" either, so I made some comparisons with my LCR meter at both 120Hz and 1kHz for a few speakers and for my dummy load resistors. Here are the results:

Avro Open Baffle Speakers: 3.8mH (120Hz) and 262uH (1kHz)
Atlantic Tech 350 THX Speakers: 0.49mH (120Hz) and 58uH (1kHz)
FHXL w/ 10.3 Metal drivers: 6.9mH (120Hz) and 512uH (1kHz)
Tang Band 1772 speakers: 7.1mH (120Hz) and 421uH (1kHz)
----------------
Dummy Load 8R: 0.01mH (120Hz) and 4.2uH (1kHz)
Dummy Load 4R: 0.01mH (120Hz) and 2.6uH (1kHz)

I'm thinking these resistors qualify as "non-inductive." They are on the order of 1/100th of the inductance that real speakers present to an amplifier. They're good enough for me!

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> Dummy Load 8R: 0.01mH (120Hz) and 4.2uH (1kHz)

If 4.2uH is true at 20KHz, then it amounts to another 0.5 Ohms of load impedance.

If you have to meet a Government Specification with 1% precision, a 6% increase of load makes your number-claims dubious.

As you say, with any dynamic loudspeaker (even speaker cables), this is "no inductance at all". If it shaves your 20KHz THD a sliver, this is arguably more real-world than the Ideal Resistor.

Besides which, the MPJA price is far lower.....

PRR: There are probably more precise means for making such measurements, I just connected my LCR meter and toggled between the two frequency-based readings that it provides. I confess to not understanding the mechanism by which you converted my measurement to an additional resistance rating at 20kHz...

Soundhappy: I'm sorry to say that I don't have an equivalent set of metal film resistors in order to conduct a comparison...

Overall, my points are: 1) the inductance of these resistors (even 4 in parallel) is clearly dwarfed by the inductance present in real speakers, and 2) there are alternate sources that are more cost effective.