First watt choices

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would really like to build one but I am unsure of which one. My current speakers are have pretty well behaved impedance that stays at or above 8 ohms so they should not be too horrible.

However, it would be nice to have the option of less well behaved speakers too.

Is there and obvious choice?

Room size , which speakers exactly (db/W/m being most important , but not single important parameter) , SPL habits

?

Gotcha,

Right now I am running so DIY bookshelf Jeff Bagby Continuum. Not super efficient but 8 ohm nominal and no real dips. I don’t really listen loud. But I once had a Sugden A21 at 23w into 8ohm and it was great. Now I also had the first version of that at 15w and it was not enough.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The impedance curve may not drop below 8Ω but it is kinda ugly. No F1 or F2 for you. 45° phase angle at about 500 Hz. Remeber P=VA x cos(phase angle) = 0.707 x VA in this case.

dave

Attachments

• Bagby-Continuum-imp.png
    Bagby-Continuum-imp.png
    19.1 KB · Views: 870
F5
yup , adequate with power also , same note as for M2 , regarding preamp

though , my sympathies are always at M2 side :D

Why does the F5 or M2 need a preamp? You mean if low efficiency speakers, or pretty much always? Just asking because I built the juma variation F5 and now curious if I have to build another thing :scratch2::D I've got plenty of volume with dac directly to F5. Sounds pretty great btw

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.