PassLab

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sounds good. Could be fun just with a small easy project just to try it out and compare it against SE tube amps. This is fun also when you have some visitors that are interested in "sound".
I think my direct coupled 300B amp I am using in the moment is hard to beat with my modified PSU with less than 1 mV ripple and Rod Coleman regulators.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
There is a schematic for the Alehp J amp.

Attached.

I can see I need to learn someting new how DC is avoided without a capacitor and without an OT.

Bipolar PSU. Big DC blocking caps are required in single-rail PSU.

Q5, Q6 and Q7, Q8 is not in a PP configuration?

Correct. Not Push-Pull. The top transistors are a Constant Current Source.

but you call this Single Ended?

Yes

So if I learn how this circuit is working it will be a big step forward.

This article talks about the Aleph CCS - Zen Variations 2 | Pass DIY

A lot of heatsinks is needed. It is a big difference from tubes where the heat is radiated from the tubes. But that I was aware of.......

Yes.

Attachments

• alephJ.png
    alephJ.png
    54.8 KB · Views: 305
it depends ..... if quality of iron is comparable to work invested in PSU and heater regs , we are speaking of big money league

don't take me wrong ...... nothing against/I like tubes ..... that's still and always will be Bonsai part of my fun

I am using good german made OT's......but it is not the top top brands from Japan some real tube "nerds" are using. Next step will be to get some of the more expensive 300B tubes......but not the NOS WE300B from 1950 - 1960 as they are quite expensive.

Certainly the bargin of Pass SE amps is the Amp Camp Amp… stunning performance for near no cost. Kits should be back in stock (V1.1) in the diyAudio store soon.

dave

What is the smallest SE amp to build without capacitors in the signal path (or at least without the big electrolytic in the output)?
Could that be the First Watt Aleph J ?
It looks relative simple. Are there PCBs made for these?

How low DC offset can you expect at the ouput without output capacitor?
Are they "self adjusting" or do you need to trim it to lowest value?

What is the smallest SE amp to build without capacitors in the signal path (or at least without the big electrolytic in the output)?

How low DC offset can you expect at the ouput without output capacitor?
Are they "self adjusting" or do you need to trim it to lowest value?

Read first watt F2 and F2J, from Firstwatt site. Well quality of sound means different for different people or it is purely subjective.
If you are looking for SE design similar to 300B, which translates to SE( not push pull ) without feedback and simple , F1 and F2 are the way to go in my understanding. With tubes SE design you have to use a Transformer and with SS you need a capacitor to block DC. It is easy and cheaper to find a good capacitor than finding a perfect output transformer. Also have to remember more complex circuits will need more careful design and it is probably best done by a designer.
Will a SS device ever replace output charecterestic of a tube ? Papa says no but you can get near ( read the page 6 of F2 manual). Well that's my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Certainly the bargin of Pass SE amps is the Amp Camp Amp… stunning performance for near no cost. Kits should be back in stock (V1.1) in the diyAudio store soon.

dave

I agree. I built the amp camps with linear supply. Very easy to build, cheap and nice sounding. I forgot building that one. Great first project. Build a typical Firstwatt power supply in 4U case and Amp Camp boards and it will be easy to just replace the boards for next SE project. You may be perfectly happy with Amp Camps. There is a version 2 Amp Camp in the works.

Another option is a non-J Aleph. The original Pass Labs Aleph amps used Mosfets in the first stage (in the Aleph J these were replaced by J-fets). ALthough many prefer the J versions, there are people who have built both and prefer the Mosfets.

There are many, many threads about the Aleph 3 (2 x 30W) and smaller amps. Just search for mini-Aleph.

I will start with the AmpCamp amp.
On the first version it was necessary to fix a small bug in the layout by placing a resistor on top of the PCB and solder it directly to the components. Has the latest layout for the PCB got that fixed?

Is there and updated part list with that resistor included?
I have only found a part list from 2012.

It is just to ensure that I get all componenets if I buy the PCB only. It seems the kit is not ready yet.

It seems some of the transistors for the AmpCamp can be found in the DIY shop.....but not all?

I will probably build my own PSU for the amp. It is my intension to use a R-C-L-C filter which worked very well for my 300B amp. Very silent. Do you built something like this also for SS amps? ......or mostly just a C filtering....or C-R-C?

Do you use Schottky diodes for the bridge (I did for the tube amp to get lower noise and faster switching)?

I was looking for ready bridges with Schottky diodes to get an eassier build....but they are not that common? .....I may have to search a little more......

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.