Babelfish XJ , or JX …….. or whatever (Aleph X servo for Greedy Boyz)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
FE for 5-deep

so , one big OS pcb per channel ...... so it's possible to make stereo amp in one (big) case

even other solutions possible , if one use something as Daughter boards I made for Babelfish J on Steroids (each small pcb covering 3 mosfets)

Attachments

• Babelfish-XJ-FE-5-deep.jpg
    Babelfish-XJ-FE-5-deep.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 953
FE for 5-deep

so , one big OS pcb per channel ...... so it's possible to make stereo amp in one (big) case

even other solutions possible , if one use something as Daughter boards I made for Babelfish J on Steroids (each small pcb covering 3 mosfets)

Soooo.... I have a BIG 5U case from modushop. And a nice +-30V PSU with a 600VA and 216000uf currently powering a BA3 + F4.

I believe this PSU and case fit the bill for this nice project of yours. Would you consider a OS pcb that fits the UMS mounting standard?:D
The 5U 400mm with standard drilling has space for 16 output mosfets, still plenty right?

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
What did you alter? The 22mA emitter follower?

pretty much written in few first posts:
- there is cascoded JFet input ,
-cascoded emiter followers
-servo dealing with absolute offset

Soooo.... I have a BIG 5U case from modushop. And a nice +-30V PSU with a 600VA and 216000uf currently powering a BA3 + F4.

I believe this PCB fits the bill for this nice project of yours. Would you consider a OS pcb that fits the UMS mounting standard?:D
The 5U 400mm with standard drilling has space for 16 output mosfets, still plenty right?

reconsider that Aleph is circuit simply not able to even make a Klunk! , let alone pass it

so , you're doomed on pure A class , thus needing everything heatsink can cope with

so , 30V rails are pretty much in SciFi realm

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Nice work, Zen! Clever solution to offset. That's a lot of hardware to drop into the mail...

:clown:

Several iterations of amp were made , in various sizes and complexity , several threads …… to my knowledge most comprehensive being this one , also extremely worth mentioning is Eric’s web page , dedicated to his Aleph X incarnation.

(links aren't transferred in quote , but they are in text in my blog )

Hello All.

I`m the proud owner of those Amplifers. First of all I wanted Thank Zen-Mod for his courage to build me those Amplifers after my beloved first Aleph-X gave up after 8-9 yers of playing. The build quality is really great, and you have seen on the pictures. Many of yours are asking how do they sound. Well in very short: As I Like it , hooped for and way beyond that !!! ;-)
I`m sins one week not sleeping well because of those Amplifiers. You know why. Listening , Listening , admire aso.
After 2 days of continuous playing them, a friend came ( an audiophile freak ) and listened it with me. He`s a tube Lover ( Manley gear like : Manley Neo-Classic 300b and Monos Manley Snapper , Lodspeakers Davone Grande and MBL 1611F, 1621 )
This “Sisy” had tears in his eyes after 2 songs he wanted to hear. I must admit those ware very depressing songs ( don’t remember what those are ), but I think he was very delightful to hear / see this as it suppose to be reproduced. ;)
On last Friday I had also some Audio - lovers at my home. Very different style music lovers. From Classic, Opera – singing style , Jazz and Popular music lovers. And must say That Everybody was satisfied about the reproduction.
It`s very hard to put in words what I`m hearing and write about that. English is not my Native language , so sorry for that!
In Compare to my Old Aleph-X ( like 60W on IRFP9610 ) every good aspects like : fullness of the sound , Emotions , easiness of reproduction remained as they are. Only more real. I mean that on the Old Aleph-X , sometimes the sound was like a drama. Calling for attention in some parts of the frequencies. This is not the case with those Amplifiers. They stay real , clean ,and no adds in the sound like it was with the old Aleph-X. Just Real , and yet FULL Loaded EMOTIONS presentation. Amazing performance and the bonus is what I missed totally was the Huge SPACE and sound localization in that space. That’s what is really amazing. I had this never before. For example PL 60.8 was the Space and pinpoint bass reproduction what I liked very much. In PL 160.5 was the softness on hights , midds very pleasant thing. And here I Have those things combined together plus many many more from them all. For example the Bass is far better then any of Amplifer i had and heard. Very well defined, and very tight. Midds are very real yet very full and reach. Hights are like a sparkle in the night sky. What was mentioned very often during last listening session was the Energy of sound coming from my system. Maybe that’s why everything sounded so damn real to us yet pleasant for long listening session ( we have been listening to 3.30 in the morning ;-) )

That’s all for now , hope you understood that I was trying to tell you all about those amplifiers. I wonder how will they sound after burn-in , and how long will it take to Burn them In ?

Thank you again ZEN for those wonderful peace of instrument!!

Last edited: