"WHAMMY" Pass DIY headphone amp guide

I used an electrical soldering iron that goes so hot the metal turns red. It helps to attach the heatsinks and some very very quick ground plane soldering.

The noise floor sounds slightly higher compared to my other amps but inaudible on low sensitivity headphones.
One problem it has though is some low level high pitched intermittent whine. It does go away on low sensitivity headphones too so I haven't pursued it. Maybe I should one of these days.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
for soldering of greater mass parts - temperature isn't crucial

what is crucial - tip big enough to have enough thermal inertia

recently I soldered 4mmsq wires , on Buddy's little river boat, with 12V/15W soldering iron

but, it have 9mm Dia tip with cone end

go figure

my regular praxis for bigger parts (including TO247 output device pins) is temp cranked to 480, with 8mm wide chisel tip

fast, efficient, clean

Have you tried applying some solder flux to the pads? Your iron might not be hot enough and/or not recovering well when you touch the pads. All of these problems were solved for me when I started using The Fire Metall solder from the store. Richard has done a fantastic job tuning the recipe in to the point where its the only solder I use.

--Tom

unfortunately that solder was out of stock when I ordered my parts but I got something from digikey that had pretty much the same make up. I believe it's the ground pads but I have tried with as much heat as I was comfortable with (360 degrees celcius) to no luck. on the bright side i have bought a second board, new solder, new tips for higher precision so I'm off for another try just got to scavenge the parts of the other board. I really appreciate all the advice so far!

IRF9620

Alguém conhece esta marca?

Attachments

• IRF9620.jpeg
    IRF9620.jpeg
    68.4 KB · Views: 318
Sorry for the first post in Portuguese. I couldn't find the brand of these mosfets.
I thought they were harris, at first. They don't look like generic Chinese. But the Harris are these.
But now, looking closely, I see that they have the same design as the Harris and are not similar to other brands.

Attachments

• harris.jpg
    harris.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 297
Last edited:
So since I gutted the old board to move the components over to a new I realised something, I won't be able to re-use the diodes because I can remember the polarity of them and have no way to check them. Now I have a bunch of these laying around the bag is from an Arduino kit and the box is from wish which would you guys think is the safer bet to use?

also related to this, how heat sensitive are the voltage regulators?
they where a pain too desolder with the heat sinks attached.

Attachments

• IMG_3229 copy.jpg
    IMG_3229 copy.jpg
    516.5 KB · Views: 390
…I won't be able to re-use the diodes because I can remember the polarity of them and have no way to check them...
Most multimeters can test a led, if I am not mistaken. Also, a very simple led and resistor circuit to test them with any wall-type PSU would be simple to create. I’m sure others will have more pointers, but lighting up a led is really simple to do. You could do it with the Arduino you already have, but a breadboard would be simpler, I think.

Maybe I’m missing something,
Rafa.

I was getting horrible distortion out of my Whammy and found that the wiring scheme was the culprit. I had connected the Whammy to the output of the stereo/mono/mute switch, and the heavy distortion was present even with all downstream components powered off. It's now connected to the output of the source selector, and with the next switch on mute the Whammy is disconnected from everything.

I guess the Muses volume control, even when powered off, was interacting with and boosting the source signal. Maybe caps were charging up?

y4mCkxrCAx-cS0KIFqsrAP8LPVkzqi--8UudO5zd6pAtb05_-tq6r-nedKN6FA0vZIT-u5nwDVWRlsGrAzOAkgW84yooHi0hRa3vNqXHcjFiv03jtBc46tkxBhIZz4dF0AYF3KFW5havuW2zqrH25IVQSvYu4F57MrK6-cIRQ5qaY1Yfy_MpW2abRUkI-rAOtyb