"WHAMMY" Pass DIY headphone amp guide

Wheels are back in motion. We have a design now. Looks great. No ETA. Requires new parts selection and prototyping. Will take a few months. You can rely on it happening one day, I can promise that now, but it will happen when it happens and not before.

Does this mean it will not work with the current kit?

I have mine built but in a temp chassis. The plan was to transplant once it became available.

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Does this mean it will not work with the current kit?

We're making it with the current kit in mind but it might require some additional parts which will be readily available, or even included with the chassis itself. The goal is a great end result and not 100% utilization of the parts that are in the current kit. Details will be posted as they are available.

Last edited:
First build issues

First build first post sorry for the stupid questions.

1. My plan was to use this as a pre amp so a installed a second set of outputs. The sound from the second set of outputs not nearly as good (volume or quality) as the sound from the headphone out. I twisted in and soldered a seconds set of L and R output wires along with the headphone output wires from the PCB. PCB output ground is soldered to the headphone jack. The second set of output wires are soldered to RCA jacks at the back. The RCA grounds are run together to the case ground screw.

2. Hum at 75 to 100% volume even with no input signal. Not always both channels not always same volume. If I put a finger on a input RCA metal end the hum gets worse. Grounding? All of the ground wires (except PCB to headphone jack): input RCA grounds, output RCA grounds, PCB input ground, and IEC ground are twisted together and attached to a case screw.

Finally done with the Wood WHAMMY! Here are the pics:
I'll add some rubber feet tonight, and it's done. I love it. Now come opamp rolling.

9941473_l.jpg

9941474_l.jpg

9941475_l.jpg

9941476_l.jpg

9941477_l.jpg

9941478_l.jpg

First build issues

Took a while to figure out the pictures.
After more fiddling I'm convinced the input wires and input RCA terminals are too close to the transformer which is the source of the hum. If I move the input wires the noise changes. I'll try relocating this weekend.
Still not sure what is up with the output.
Is my theory that adding a pair of output wires to RCAs at the back should work?
I'll try disassembling the output RCAs and assure good grounding and see if that fixes the problem with the output

Attachments

• wam1.jpg
    wam1.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 266
  • wam2.jpg
    wam2.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 263
  • wam3.jpg
    wam3.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 256
Took a while to figure out the pictures.
After more fiddling I'm convinced the input wires and input RCA terminals are too close to the transformer which is the source of the hum. If I move the input wires the noise changes. I'll try relocating this weekend.
Still not sure what is up with the output.
Is my theory that adding a pair of output wires to RCAs at the back should work?
I'll try disassembling the output RCAs and assure good grounding and see if that fixes the problem with the output

I used unshielded wire on my first whammy. Not good. Shielded mic cable is best.

Umm, when I turn off the whammy with the headphones connected, there some pretty loud crackling through the headphones. Any ideas on how to reduce or eliminate that? Seems much louder with an AD823ANZ opamp than with a 4580 or an LM833N, it's audible with the 4580 and 833.

That's the caps slowly discharging and then the op amp malfunctioning at the low voltage rails. I don't have a solution to it, but that is what you are hearing.

.033 - .1uF or anything close should do the job. It should be very quiet.

Thx Wayne,

Added 1uf, the "Wooooo" sound solved a lot, but now have "Ziiiiiiiii" , like radio noise sound.
The noise sound not big, just appear in background.

When i turn the sound to "Zero volume", and "full volume" with no RCA signals, the sound level are same.

How can i kill this question?

The sound better than my KSA5, I thinking is it something wrong in my ksa5.

Last edited:
i using HD660S now, the background noise nearly disappear. So amazing, may i know the reason?

The "Ziiiiiii" sound appear when i using 16 ohm or 32 ohm headphone.

Is the issue with the source(your dac)? Do you have another amp to test? The sound you are describing sounds like cell phone noise. Horrible. It could be oscillation though... I can't help you if that's the case.