"WHAMMY" Pass DIY headphone amp guide

Am I thinking correctly with this setup? Will my diagram work? I want the 3prong 3way toggle to switch between headphone jack output and RCAs for use as preamplifier for ACA. Thanks for the help, I am learning a lot with this project.

Attachments

• 20190929_005240.jpg
    20190929_005240.jpg
    425.3 KB · Views: 610
Am I thinking correctly with this setup? Will my diagram work? I want the 3prong 3way toggle to switch between headphone jack output and RCAs for use as preamplifier for ACA. Thanks for the help, I am learning a lot with this project.

You dont need a toggle switch. Just a switched headphone Jack. When you plug your headphones in the preamp output will be muted. Unplug the headphones and the preamp can be used. This is how I wired mine.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Ashleytt, I bought this row of 30 breakaway pins from Mouser

TS-132-G-AA Samtec | Mouser

They fit beautifully into the SOIC-to-DIP8 adapter PCB sold by Sparkfun (link). After soldering the IC chip to the adapter board, then soldering the pins to the board (broken off as two rows of 4 pins/row, naturally), the entire assembly fit perfectly into a DIP socket. I prefer the sockets with "milled" pins as shown on the attached image below.

_

Attachments

• milled.jpg
    milled.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 502
Ashleytt, I bought this row of 30 breakaway pins from Mouser

TS-132-G-AA Samtec | Mouser

They fit beautifully into the SOIC-to-DIP8 adapter PCB sold by Sparkfun (link). After soldering the IC chip to the adapter board, then soldering the pins to the board (broken off as two rows of 4 pins/row, naturally), the entire assembly fit perfectly into a DIP socket. I prefer the sockets with "milled" pins as shown on the attached image below.

_
Thanks so much Mark! I searched aliexpress and ebay for these pins and got nothing! I'll give these a try and report back! Cheers!

i ordered some components for modification.
Vgbwt9e.jpg

6 different Opamp which included AD823

sjXFZrS.jpg

2 type of output transistor. 2013+313 was matched

5O9u1dJ.jpg

RIFA PHE450 MKP 224 0.22UF 630V VS WIMA 0.22uF 300v
WIMA 1UF/100V MKS4 VS ERO MKT 250V 105 1UF
i dont know the 0.22uf and 1uf which type is better.

y9KkBzY.jpg

Here is a big question, i ordered 3 types of 220uf, but nichicon and SIC SAFCO are too big for installation, only Panasonic FC 220uf is suitable for this board.
Nichicon BP 220uf/50V got the ESR is 0.1324r @120Hz
SIC SAFCO 220uf/100V got the ESR is 0.148r @120Hz, bur the true value is 280uF, is it OK for use ?
May i know where should i install nichicon BP or SIC SAFCO is better as i can't install all of this on the board.

Last edited:
Hi there. I'd like to know how to calculate the power outputs (mW) of Whammy to the phones I'm using: 14ohms, 46ohms, 250ohms and 300ohms. I'm using the default 17v rails and 60mA bias. TIA!

Power = Voltage * Current
Current = Voltage / Resistance
Therefore
Power(in watts) = Voltage^2 / Resistance
The typical max volume level is 2v, and going off that:

2v^2 / 14ohms = 286mW
2v^2 / 46 = 143mW
2v^2 / 250 = 16mW
2v^2 / 300 = 14mW
That would be peak, not RMS. Divide by the square root of 2 to get an approximation of the RMS, if that is what you want.

From what I understand, the 17v rail is mostly for the op amp, to allow it to swing further, to keep the output from dropping lower than the input without clipping.

Last edited:
fwiw I spent an enjoyable couple of hours with the Whammy driving my 12" 100db 8 Ohm open baffle drivers and while they do benefit from a bit more oomph it was still very much an enjoyable listen with a clean & detailed presentation. The Whammy didn't seem to be stressed the heat sinks were no warmer than normal and the transformer (22v) stayed cool to the touch during that time.

Normally I use a 2W Set amp.