Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

"WHAMMY" Pass DIY headphone amp guide
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th November 2018, 03:22 PM   #721
AudioSan is offline AudioSan  Norway
diyAudio Member

How about a pure parts kit and a part & chassis kit? the pure parts kit could be the PCB parts only. So that if you buy a e-bay chassis (that often has Power switch, volume knob, IEC socket+++) you don't end up with twice the parts, that half of it can't be used and a higher bill.
Old 8th November 2018, 05:32 PM   #722
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Because esentally everybody will need to plug it in, use a fuse, power switch, need input RCAs and a headphone jack. And if somehow you don’t use the supplied parts they will be useful for a future project.

Old 8th November 2018, 09:18 PM   #723
Blk Dynamite is offline Blk Dynamite  United States
diyAudio Member

As soon as this kit is available with a chassis, I'm most definitely getting one. Been wanting one for those late night jam sessions. Thanks for all the work ya'll do to make our lives easier and more enjoyable
Old 8th November 2018, 10:30 PM   #724
Jason is offline Jason  Australia
:)
diyAudio Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioSan View Post
How about a pure parts kit and a part & chassis kit? the pure parts kit could be the PCB parts only. So that if you buy a e-bay chassis (that often has Power switch, volume knob, IEC socket+++) you don't end up with twice the parts, that half of it can't be used and a higher bill.
Thanks for the suggestion. The intention is to offer a chassis in the very near future, then it's just kit + chassis = done.

The reason we don't offer sub-kits in general is that once the main product has sold out, you end up with a bunch of orphaned sub-kits. If the sub-kits sell out then you have people unhappy they can't build a full kit. If you don't do another run you're up the creek and left holding dead stock and it's all been for naught. There's also now twice as many SKUs to manage and restock and a cascade of unexpected supply chain synchronization issues inevitably ensue.

We've done our best for some other projects to make things as affordable as possible for DIYers, like making the ACA power supply independent of the kit, and offering the ACN with a separate chassis connector kit, but for now with the WHAMMY we'll just keep it simple, and in the future we may offer more options.

As Jim said, you can always use the connectors for another project.
Old 8th November 2018, 11:41 PM   #725
AudioSan is offline AudioSan  Norway
diyAudio Member

Connectors is one thing. they can allways be used for something. at least for most on this forum. But things as volume knobs is more difficult
Old 9th November 2018, 01:38 AM   #726
imran27 is offline imran27  India
diyAudio Member

Has anybody compared WHAMMY to other DIY designs in terms of sound?
For example how does it compared to AMB CKK3 or AMB B22?
Old 9th November 2018, 02:26 AM   #727
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I'd love to know!

Build all three and report back.
Old 9th November 2018, 10:11 AM   #728
batty is offline batty  Australia
diyAudio Member

BAM !
Old 9th November 2018, 04:24 PM   #729
RafaPolit is offline RafaPolit  Ecuador
diyAudio Member

Well, I pulled the trigger on this Parts kit! Lets see how things turn out... really excited to build this. Thanks Wayne, thanks 6L6 and thanks Jason!

I will be ordering some 'additional' OpAmps from Mouser.

Other than those, any suggestions of things I may need to order from them to make sure I am not missing anything once the parts reach Ecuador?

I ask because I read in this thread things like: 'try it with 100uF, if not, go try the 220'. For me that means... Ok, no way to get them in less than a month or so and paying full international shipping. So its crucial that I get everything here in one shipment.

So any suggestions are more than welcome!!!

Thanks, best regards,
Rafa.
Old 9th November 2018, 08:05 PM   #730
batty is offline batty  Australia
diyAudio Member

Love your dedication Rafa.

"WHAMMY" Pass DIY headphone amp guideHide this!Advertise here!