"WHAMMY" Pass DIY headphone amp guide

I’m wanting to use an LED illuminated switch for power. Can I pull 12V (AC or DC) anywhere on the board? If so, where would be a good spot?

Also, I’ve been seeing lots of talk on proper grounding to the chassis. On the Hammond enclosure, do I need to do anything to it for proper grounding any of the parts or panels (other than file down a bit for the electrical ground and star washer)?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I'm just finishing up my project and had a question.
My chassis power cable has an AC Live fused black wire, Green wire Ground to star washer on Chassis and a white Neutral wire .
In the Build Guide it states; if you add a power switch " Switch the Live Lead " in Bold type.
The AC Live Pad is the one closer to the Middle of the PCB per the build guide notes.
I purchased a 3 terminal SPST switch with LED marked with terminals symbols Power , ACC, and Ground.

TOGGLE SWITCH BLUE ILLUMINATED ON/OFF SPST 3P SPADE TERMINALS 25A 12VDC #662051 | eBay

I don't want to damage my PCB and just want to make sure the ACC and Ground Symbol terminals on the power switch will be connected to the WHAMMY PCB AC Pads correctly. I know the fused Live wire goes to the Power terminal on the switch.
Thanks

@kevinr I’m new to all this but I didn’t see the AC rating for the switch in the listing, but considering it’s rated at 12VDC I’m not sure it’s safe to switch 120VAC; at least I wouldn’t without confirmation.

I’m wanting to use an LED illuminated switch for power. Can I pull 12V (AC or DC) anywhere on the board? If so, where would be a good spot?

Thanks.

Refer to post #25. Pull power from R10 & R14. I followed his advice, though I used two LED’s . I used a 10k ohm resistor on each to bring the current down so the LEDs would not be too bright. I used 5mm blue ones from Fry’s, don’t remember their specs offhand, yours may require a different value resistor.

Refer to post #25. Pull power from R10 & R14. I followed his advice, though I used two LED’s . I used a 10k ohm resistor on each to bring the current down so the LEDs would not be too bright. I used 5mm blue ones from Fry’s, don’t remember their specs offhand, yours may require a different value resistor.

At least 15k or they will be too bright.

Thank you! I’ll try various resistors beforehand just in case.

Last edited:
When measuring the PSU voltages in steps 10 and 11, are the regulators installed and soldered already? Some photos show with, some without, the description suggests they’re there (inaccurate voltages at this point in time), but the regulators aren’t noted for install until step 20. I’m trying to put a build video of this together and want to make sure I get it right. Thanks!

When measuring the PSU voltages in steps 10 and 11, are the regulators installed and soldered already? Some photos show with, some without, the description suggests they’re there (inaccurate voltages at this point in time), but the regulators aren’t noted for install until step 20. I’m trying to put a build video of this together and want to make sure I get it right. Thanks!

Well, looking over the schematic I'd have to assume they're there since the recommendation is to use C9's positive terminal to measure and that would appear to only work with the regulator in place. I'll give it a go and see if it blows up or not, j/k. Maybe a note should be made in the guide to install the regulators before step 20.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hmmm... I see that I never actually said to install the regulators in the PSU section and did say it in the MOSFET section... Yup. That’s not particularly clear. I’ll change that right away.

EDIT: Ok, I changed it. Should be in a bit better order, and a few things were added/revised for more clarity.

Last edited:
Hmmm... I see that I never actually said to install the regulators in the PSU section and did say it in the MOSFET section... Yup. That’s not particularly clear. I’ll change that right away.

EDIT: Ok, I changed it. Should be in a bit better order, and a few things were added/revised for more clarity.

Sweet, thanks. My PSU tests worked as hoped, and I've got some video up to this point. I'm going to try and finish up the amp tomorrow (minus the enclosure) and upload the video for perusal (I hope for feedback and corrections).