Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

"WHAMMY" Pass DIY headphone amp guide
"WHAMMY" Pass DIY headphone amp guide
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th April 2021, 02:50 PM   #3611
gervenja is offline gervenja  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default my first whammy

It has been some time sines I have ordered the PCB, dec2019. But I have begone with the build of my whammy. The reading of the complete thread took some day's and is fun to read, but building is more fun.
I have chosen for the led configuration.
The bulk of the component are from Mouser, the rest are from DigiKey.
The transformer I bought is the Talema 22V, after reading about a lot of problems with high voltage and temperature I was doubting this choice.
First measurement's on my board 16.65V and -16.75V HAPPY day's
The regulators I used are from ON Semiconductor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201219_160146.jpg (998.1 KB, 114 views)
Old 11th April 2021, 03:24 PM   #3612
diyAudio Member

First thing I noticed, it has been a while, that I need a magnifier these day's.
Last time was with melf resistors, SMD and it was obvious but now I cant do without.
I stuffed the compleet pcb and it looks all-right by me.
I did buy several OpAmps; RC4580IP, AD823ANZ
For now I will start with the RC4580IP.
For now I stop, tomorrow I'll do some controles.
And hopefully some music.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210409_172120.jpg (984.4 KB, 103 views)
Old Yesterday, 08:09 PM   #3613
funhouse61 is offline funhouse61  France
diyAudio Member

Default a helping hand for a beginner

Hello everyone. I admire all these whammys so I too would like to contribute to this big family. Only certain questions bother me.
i want to use it as headphone amplifier and preamplifier with class T power amplifier
Hifimediy T4 2x180W Class-T Tripath TK2050 Amplifier, Jantzen caps which already has a lot of horses under the hood the why of all these questions about power supply. My current installation consists of raspi + digione -} dac khadas -} buffer fx audio tube 01 -} t4 class T power amplifier and I have too much gain, the volume on the first notch is very difficult to adjust. I have already changed the potentiometer and rca attenuators with little results. So for my whammy I would like to change that and have more progressivity.
I would like to have the widest possible opamp compatibility with the power supply I would choose as I am a total beginner in DIY electronics and I don't really feel able to adjust it to suit it.
So if I have followed correctly (for now I am on page 323 of the wire and I intend to read it all the way) a 2 x 18v transformer would be best?
then with 15 v regulators and leds?
I apologize for these questions which may seem ridiculous but with the power supply for only one voltage there are a few possible variations and I don't really know which one to choose.
In addition, I received my pcb a short time ago and I can't wait to order the parts.
Thanks
Old Yesterday, 08:44 PM   #3614
diyAudio Member

so I did my first listening session. And it was a pleasant surprise.
All the connections were professorial, no hum what so ever.
Just music.
I was surprised because it is not in an housing, just on an aluminium plate.
The music is from low to high nicely balanced.
Next on the list is the building of the housing.
Old Yesterday, 09:22 PM   #3615
Swifty is offline Swifty  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Good job gervenja, enjoy your Whammy! Do post pictures of it when you've finished its enclosure! Will you build it from scratch?
  Reply to this post

"WHAMMY" Pass DIY headphone amp guideHide this!Advertise here!