"WHAMMY" Pass DIY headphone amp guide

I cannot seem to find the dimensions of the pcb either in this thread, in the "new PassDIY Heaphones" nor is it listed in the diyaudio store. Does anyone have the dimensions and are willing to share?

And last, how high does the stuffed amplifier board build in height in mm, will e.g. an enclosure with 40mm internal height be sufficient?

with regards,
ikek

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Ikek,

I got my boards from Wayne last year (looks to be the same as the one in 6L6's
picture on page 1 of this thread) and they measure about 160mm x 218mm.

40mm clearance is pretty tight and you need to check your part heights. (The
total clearance of the Hammond case mentioned earlier is about 47mm.)

Cheers,
Dennis

Thank you!

I am waiting on my board and was looking at enclosures. Easy to find a type I think I like but hard to know what would fit when dimensions are not, to my knowledge, easily available.

I found it puzzling that the dimensions are not mentioned at the diyaudio store page for this product.

with regards,
ikek

Any suggestions for a part # for the snubber? Looks like 22LS.
After some digging I found one that looks good. LS is 22.5 vs 22 but should work. Mouser - 594-2222-336-10224 X1 rated.

6J6 I saw you used 35v Nichicon FGs for C3, C4, C9 and C28. Assuming 50V parts are for additional headroom/longevity but not mandatory? I'd like to try to shoehorn some Silmics in there. Also, what is the value of the orange capacitor referencing safety earth and signal ground. TIA!!

Last edited:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I like the Nichicon caps mostly because they say "Audio Grade" on the datasheet -

I figure if some group of engineers much smarter than me is trying to keep the capacitor's response well-behaved in the AF range, then who am I to argue? Might as well use them. And they look cool.

Yes, the Lead spacing on the snubber is 22mm

Last edited:
I have ordered the PCB as well. And started to fill the shopping cart. Maybe this was asked before in the other thread but i can't find the aswer what to do i i leave out the volume pot. This is because i will put it after my preamp. ( D.Self preamplifier from Lineair Audio.) Not really sure how much gain is needed though...

Thanks, Vincent

Progress shot!

10103892_thumb.jpg

Nice! The PCB does look....asked if I had a preference and I’ve always liked black....

Personally imo pcb's colour isn't that important but get transparency if I expose pcb on the intense light
( and see for example this track go from this point to another pcb side and is connected to this component )
can be helpful in build process and debug.
Black are the only one who are not transparent if compare to white , red, green , and blue solder masks.
Could we start a POLL and ask DIYers what colour they like for next Pass DIY project in the store ?
Collective decision is nice from time to time ;) I am blue

Attachments

• 9BC58F0E-DF39-467D-BA58-E88A1BD89815.jpg
    9BC58F0E-DF39-467D-BA58-E88A1BD89815.jpg
    550.8 KB · Views: 2,224
Last edited: