"WHAMMY" Pass DIY headphone amp guide

Thanks Timothy for the update. I emailed the store as well to share that it's likely not a one off error if it happened to both of us, and all the current kits should probably be checked. Glad you have the right part en route to you now. I'm sure the same will go for me in the near future.

Not to mention your post ensures all the folks who have got recent Whammy kits, or will be buying kits soon, will be aware of the issue and maybe even avoid it.

I built couple of these wonderful headphone amps and using them with joy. I also like use one of them as a pre-amp occasionally. I know there are some discussions on this subject here but I can't seem to pinpoint. Can someone direct me to those posts (post numbers, etc.).

Appreciate the help.

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Thank you to everyone who gave feedback about the PEM issue.

I visited the warehouse and checked the kits on shelf, and determined that a little less than half the remaining WHAMMY kits have PEM DD12.1121.111 ("One Amp, Screw A, 2 pole fuseholder, 2 pole line switch") instead of DD12.4111.111 ("4 Amp, Screw A, 1 pole fuseholder, 2 pole line switch").

After consulting our supplier, it turns out Digikey sent a number of 1121s in the order of 4111s.

The most practical solution to remedy the issue is to obtain one Schurter 4301.1413 "Fingergrip, 2 pole fuseholder, shorting bar on neutral side" (Digikey / Mouser). Any customer who has received a kit containing a PEM labelled DD12.1121.111 is welcome to either obtain said part themselves and contact the helpdesk for a refund of the part value, or contact the helpdesk and we will arrange for the 4301.1413 fuseholder to be shipped out to you at no cost to you.

All kits containing PEM DD12.1121.111 have been identified and set aside at the warehouse and will be updated with the 4301.1413 fuseholder. All customers who purchased a WHAMMY from this batch will be contacted and asked to check they have the correct PEM and if not we will ship a replacement fuseholder.

Thank you for your understanding.

Reactions: 4 users
I finished a Whammy about a month ago and have been very pleased with it. Thanks to everyone who put this project together. I'm using it as a pre-amp for our main music system which consists of 2 Parasound A52 amps and Linkwitz L521.4 speakers. The Whammy replaces a Grace Design M920 that I used at times.

I have one little project left on the Whammy and that is to install an on/off display Led and replace the stock RC4580 opamp with a Burson V6 livid or a V7 pro. In reading through the forums I have read of quite a few people who have used the V6 and been happy with it. Probably since it hasn't been out that long I haven't found anyone using the V7. Is there anyone here who has used the V7 yet and has a comment as to how it sounds? I messaged with Burson and they highly recommend the 7 over the 6. One thing bothers me though and that is the fact that the 7 runs quite a bit hotter than the 6.