Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

"WHAMMY" Pass DIY headphone amp guide
"WHAMMY" Pass DIY headphone amp guide
"WHAMMY" Pass DIY headphone amp guide Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th February 2020, 12:32 AM   #2031
JimmyC23 is offline JimmyC23  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by passive420 View Post
Your offset was higher than the rail voltage, Is that even possible? They are single channel amps, you need two on an adapter.
Sorry I meant mv not v. Also I wasn't paying attention to the circuits when I ordered it. I am however really interested in hearing the OPA627. So far Texas Instruments has impressed me with the OPA2107. So I'm sure the OPA627 will be even better given its price.
Old 14th February 2020, 12:33 AM   #2032
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregje View Post
Jimmy, I've measured offsets using opa627 for you. Both channels sub 1mV.
That is fantastically low in my book.
That is extremely low. I get very low offsets with the OPA2107 as well.
Old 14th February 2020, 06:38 PM   #2033
passive420 is online now passive420  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyC23 View Post
Sorry I meant mv not v. Also I wasn't paying attention to the circuits when I ordered it. I am however really interested in hearing the OPA627. So far Texas Instruments has impressed me with the OPA2107. So I'm sure the OPA627 will be even better given its price.
Thought you might have missed a decimal point!

The last few days I have been trying a few new op amps, all mono's on dual adapters: LT1128 / LT1115 / AD8597

So far I really like the LT1115's and AD8597's. All offsets look good at just a few mV. My rails are on the limit really at 16.9V & 17.1V so they do get a little warm to touch.

One tip for people using Brown Dog adapters is to solder the tops of the press fit pins to improve connection.

If anyone is interested in a fully built Whammy then I will be selling my other amplifier. I built two up using parts I already had in my stash so one is spare. Pot and op amp included.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1833.jpg (92.2 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1835.jpg (158.0 KB, 183 views)
Old Yesterday, 05:39 PM   #2034
diyAudio Member

If anyone is thinking of getting an OPA627 I found both the Brown Dog Adapters and op-amps from CimarronTechnology.com. They have a bundle package which was lot cheaper than if you bought the op amps from Mouser or DigiKey.
Old Yesterday, 06:08 PM   #2035
diyAudio Member

Jimmy have you seen this in the swap meet?

FS: Dual TO-99 OPA627SM on DIP-8 Adapter PCB
Old Yesterday, 06:50 PM   #2036
barryso is online now barryso  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyC23 View Post
If anyone is thinking of getting an OPA627 I found both the Brown Dog Adapters and op-amps from CimarronTechnology.com. They have a bundle package which was lot cheaper than if you bought the op amps from Mouser or DigiKey.
Are they selling the board and the op amps in pieces or do they solder them together as a finished product?
Old Yesterday, 08:40 PM   #2037
diyAudio Member

I have yet to see whether they are soldered on the board. I'll let you know when it arrives tomorrow Hoping it already is and if it is, this is an incredibly great deal but something tells me it's probably not soldered
Old Yesterday, 08:42 PM   #2038
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryso View Post
Are they selling the board and the op amps in pieces or do they solder them together as a finished product?
They come soldered to the boards, don't worry.

"Available with optional audio op amps installed"
Old Yesterday, 09:21 PM   #2039
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Jimmy have you seen this in the swap meet?

FS: Dual TO-99 OPA627SM on DIP-8 Adapter PCB
I have not but if I were you I would get on it right away. Edit: Actually I'm wondering if it has any improvement over the regular OPA627. Then not sure if it's worth it.
Old Yesterday, 10:50 PM   #2040
barryso is online now barryso  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
They come soldered to the boards, don't worry.

"Available with optional audio op amps installed"
Thanks for finding that. Old eyes and big soldering tips don't go well with teeny tiny op amps so this may be a great solution.

"WHAMMY" Pass DIY headphone amp guideHide this!Advertise here!