Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

"WHAMMY" Pass DIY headphone amp guide
"WHAMMY" Pass DIY headphone amp guide
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th November 2019, 06:08 PM   #1721
Zapped is offline Zapped
diyAudio Member

Many thanks to both avdesignguru and AudioSan for helping me with the blue LED installation!

Zapped
Old Yesterday, 02:56 AM   #1722
emacs is offline emacs
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
emacs - Remove the feedback capacitors C7 C2.

And make sure all panels of chassis are touching each other through bare metal, but it looks like you may have done that already.
Thx your reminder.
i stop my DIY as I feel tired these days.
i will do it when i feel good.
Old Yesterday, 04:17 AM   #1723
emacs is offline emacs
diyAudio Member

just removed C2+C7, stay the same.
Old Yesterday, 07:26 PM   #1724
Martigane is online now Martigane
diyAudio Member

How does this amp fares against, for example, typical entry level 100$ head amps? I got a JDS Atom and my soldering iron is starting to itch.
Old Yesterday, 08:10 PM   #1725
JimmyC23 is offline JimmyC23  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martigane View Post
How does this amp fares against, for example, typical entry level 100$ head amps? I got a JDS Atom and my soldering iron is starting to itch.
Been waiting to answer a question like this. I don't get excited about amps very much or head-gear for that matter. So far in my years into head-gear, the value has not translated into that phenomenal sound I've been looking for. I stumbled upon the Whammy through a friend and I can safely say that the Whammy is totally worth the price and beyond. The main attribute that the Whammy offers is that it makes the music sound very life-like. I am looking back at some of the music that sounded meh with other amps, but the Whammy delivers a refreshing sound that I've never heard before. Great recordings will sound even better.

The right question is how does it fair against head amps that are more expensive? It's remarkably better in almost all aspects. (Perhaps not in the bass but tube amps do a better job at that in general, but can be fixed with closed back headphones)

I would suggest only using the OPA2107 op-amp. I've tried several $50+ op-amps, but it was obvious on first listen that this was remarkably better than the rest. This provided the life-like quality that I mentioned above. Soundstage is awesome.

This could all be had for about $270 including the chassis. Compared to my $400+ $800+ amps, the Whammy with the OPA2107 is sublime. Please build one.

PS I'm using HD 650's

Last edited by JimmyC23; Yesterday at 08:13 PM.

"WHAMMY" Pass DIY headphone amp guideHide this!Advertise here!