"WHAMMY" Pass DIY headphone amp guide

having me a significant frustrate

Man, I am not having luck building this thing. I'm at the test the psu step. i previously had gone the "LED reference route." When I first tested things, one LED lit up and one did not. I am a n00b and have no idea what I am doing so I pulled up the multimeter to try to figure it out. Eventually I got a spark and the other LED went out. After that I was getting about 37V on the rails for both +/-.

I have replaced the diodes in D7 and D8 after that. No luck, LEDs did not light up. Still getting about 37V. OK, I don't want to order anymore parts, let's see what happens when we at least try the "naked regulators" option. I should get 15V there too. But I'm not. I'm getting 29V in the attached.

The unshielded wire is a test of the naked regulators option. It isn't permanent.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• unnamed (13).jpg
    unnamed (13).jpg
    615.8 KB · Views: 367
I am aquiring the parts at the moment, and rummaging trough my parts box I came across a 2x115V, 23-0-23V toroidal transformer, which even has an extra 10V line (scavenged from a Hypex AD2.100 I believe).

I'm thinking this would be a good candidate for the Whammy, with the 10V winding perfectly suited to power a Muses volume pot for example.

But 23V would be too much I fear? I was planning on going with the LED reference version, and a green led with a Vfd of 2.1V, which leaves a lot of voltage to be dissipated..

Joined 2004
Paid Member
@PastorOfMuppets - how do you have the mains connected? You should only be able to get 31V out of that 22VAC transformer after rectification. There are 2 ways to connect mains voltage in depending on whether you are 120V or 240V

Check 6L6's build guide in post#1 if you are not sure:
IMG_1562.jpg

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Clearly Dennis is the smarter one from Toronto :) if you wired it for 240 by mistake instead of 120 you'd see 1/2 the voltage, not double. Ignore what I said :D:D (my excuse is that I was up really late for the past few nights)

Do you have any pictures of what the underside of the board looks like? All solder joints clean with no shorts?

I heard that Canada doesn't really exist. It's all mapleleaf (say it out loud).

I appreciate everyone's help. Let me get back to everyone. My multimeter stopped working. the nuhybrid went so well too.

i really want the led reference so i am going to redo that too. but i'm hearing that without much of a load everything may be working OK.

Attachments

• unnamed (14).jpg
    unnamed (14).jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 300
These transformers have 15 or 20% regulation so without a load, one can expect
to see voltage somewhat higher than the theoretical 31VDC. Also, the input AC
may be higher than the nominal 115/230 VAC of the transformer.

It measures 27v and 11,5V for the 23V line and 10V line respectively plugged directly into a wall socket, so regulation is right in that ballpark indeed. But going by some accounts it might still work out ok.

I will probably build the official Whammy board with a PC mount 18V transformer.

I had problems with ordering the boards with JLCPCB because of issues with the gerber files, so just before I got the opportunity to buy a Whammy pcb from a foum member, I had found gerber files of a three-pcb design of this schematic at theslowdiyer | DIY electronics and audio projects – at a snail's pace!.

In this design, the single pcb is split up into separate pcb's for the psu and the two channels.

So soon I will have the opportunity to experiment a bit, and I'll use this transformer when building out the three-pcb design

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Man, I am not having luck building this thing. I'm at the test the psu step. i previously had gone the "LED reference route." When I first tested things, one LED lit up and one did not. I am a n00b and have no idea what I am doing so I pulled up the multimeter to try to figure it out. Eventually I got a spark and the other LED went out. After that I was getting about 37V on the rails for both +/-.

I have replaced the diodes in D7 and D8 after that. No luck, LEDs did not light up. Still getting about 37V. OK, I don't want to order anymore parts, let's see what happens when we at least try the "naked regulators" option. I should get 15V there too. But I'm not. I'm getting 29V in the attached.

The unshielded wire is a test of the naked regulators option. It isn't permanent.

Any ideas?
Looking at the meter it shows 17.5 Volts. The meter is set to 30 Volts scale
So the top scale should be used. Am I wrong or anyone else see this?

Yeah super weird. I redid the cap and LED. When I plugged it in, Of course this focused on my hand, but I'm getting 36V across R13 and R14, and 37V across R9 and R10. D5 isn't working, and didn't work after plugging it in after sitting there for another half hour or hour. Bought extras of those. I have some time tonight to really look into it. And make sure I bought the right parts.

Attachments

• unnamed (15).jpg
    unnamed (15).jpg
    408.7 KB · Views: 380
I heard that Canada doesn't really exist. It's all mapleleaf (say it out loud).

I appreciate everyone's help. Let me get back to everyone. My multimeter stopped working. the nuhybrid went so well too.

i really want the led reference so i am going to redo that too. but i'm hearing that without much of a load everything may be working OK.

Did you stuff R37 and R38 behind the caps?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Guys,

I have been building my Whammy a few months back and turn to you for help. I ordered the PCB plus parts kit and had a breeze building the amp. It works and produces wonderful sound. It however generates a significant amount of hiss, which ultimately turned me away from it. The amp has been collecting dust for a few months now and I want to fix the problem. Is there any obvious thing I am missing? I have been searching this thread and grounding the pot and RCA inputs helped with a hum, that I was having, but did not affect the noise floor. In the attached pictures you can see the current state of my Whammy. The RCA jacks currently have no ground connection, but that was for testing purposes alone (comparing ground noise with hiss etc). i am using a modushop aluminum case, if that helps.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_0233.jpg
    IMG_0233.jpg
    819.5 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_0235.jpg
    IMG_0235.jpg
    692.6 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_0236.jpg
    IMG_0236.jpg
    789 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_0232.jpg