Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

"WHAMMY" Pass DIY headphone amp guide
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th October 2019, 08:40 PM   #1661
73 and a 3rd is offline 73 and a 3rd  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Wheels are back in motion. We have a design now. Looks great. No ETA. Requires new parts selection and prototyping. Will take a few months. You can rely on it happening one day, I can promise that now, but it will happen when it happens and not before.

Does this mean it will not work with the current kit?

I have mine built but in a temp chassis. The plan was to transplant once it became available.
Old 14th October 2019, 08:51 PM   #1662
Jason is offline Jason  Australia
:)
diyAudio Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73 and a 3rd View Post
Does this mean it will not work with the current kit?
We're making it with the current kit in mind but it might require some additional parts which will be readily available, or even included with the chassis itself. The goal is a great end result and not 100% utilization of the parts that are in the current kit. Details will be posted as they are available.

Last edited by Jason; 14th October 2019 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Minor edit
Old 15th October 2019, 03:29 PM   #1663
Dline is offline Dline
diyAudio Member

Default First build issues

First build first post sorry for the stupid questions.

1. My plan was to use this as a pre amp so a installed a second set of outputs. The sound from the second set of outputs not nearly as good (volume or quality) as the sound from the headphone out. I twisted in and soldered a seconds set of L and R output wires along with the headphone output wires from the PCB. PCB output ground is soldered to the headphone jack. The second set of output wires are soldered to RCA jacks at the back. The RCA grounds are run together to the case ground screw.

2. Hum at 75 to 100% volume even with no input signal. Not always both channels not always same volume. If I put a finger on a input RCA metal end the hum gets worse. Grounding? All of the ground wires (except PCB to headphone jack): input RCA grounds, output RCA grounds, PCB input ground, and IEC ground are twisted together and attached to a case screw.
Old 15th October 2019, 04:21 PM   #1664
Zen Mod is online now Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

pictures
Old 17th October 2019, 02:08 PM   #1665
AllanMarcus is offline AllanMarcus  United States
diyAudio Member

Finally done with the Wood WHAMMY! Here are the pics:
I'll add some rubber feet tonight, and it's done. I love it. Now come opamp rolling.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 17th October 2019, 02:18 PM   #1666
ItsAllInMyHead is offline ItsAllInMyHead  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanMarcus View Post
Finally done with the Wood WHAMMY! Here are the pics:
I'll add some rubber feet tonight, and it's done. I love it. Now come opamp rolling.
Gorgeous Build!
Old 17th October 2019, 06:55 PM   #1667
Dline is offline Dline
diyAudio Member

Default First build issues

Took a while to figure out the pictures.
After more fiddling I'm convinced the input wires and input RCA terminals are too close to the transformer which is the source of the hum. If I move the input wires the noise changes. I'll try relocating this weekend.
Still not sure what is up with the output.
Is my theory that adding a pair of output wires to RCAs at the back should work?
I'll try disassembling the output RCAs and assure good grounding and see if that fixes the problem with the output
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wam1.jpg (105.7 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg wam2.jpg (115.4 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg wam3.jpg (125.5 KB, 43 views)
Old Yesterday, 04:23 AM   #1668
AllanMarcus is offline AllanMarcus  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dline View Post
Took a while to figure out the pictures.
After more fiddling I'm convinced the input wires and input RCA terminals are too close to the transformer which is the source of the hum. If I move the input wires the noise changes. I'll try relocating this weekend.
Still not sure what is up with the output.
Is my theory that adding a pair of output wires to RCAs at the back should work?
I'll try disassembling the output RCAs and assure good grounding and see if that fixes the problem with the output
I used unshielded wire on my first whammy. Not good. Shielded mic cable is best.

"WHAMMY" Pass DIY headphone amp guideHide this!Advertise here!