Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

"WHAMMY" Pass DIY headphone amp guide
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th September 2019, 02:05 AM   #1601
slowpogo is offline slowpogo  United States
diyAudio Member

That's interesting, because in my own research I found much more consistent enthusiasm for the V6 Vivid. What I recall is that people recommended the Classic if you were especially into more intimate or acoustic music, but the Vivid was generally the winner and more lively and interesting for most things. I have the Vivid and love it with the Whammy, but I'm listening with DT-880 250ohms.

But assuming those impressions of the Classic are true, I would think the Vivid would complement the HD 650's better, since Sennheisers tend toward a relaxed and smooth sound signature (that's the general wisdom, and having owned some I agree). I'd think you'd want something more lively to complement that and balance that out, rather than doubling down with the Classic, but that's just my philosophy.
Old 14th September 2019, 01:25 AM   #1602
JimmyC23 is offline JimmyC23  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi guys. I need some help with the wiring for the power outlet and the switch. I didn't understand the directions and I don't want to screw anything up. Could someone explain to me exactly how this is to be wired. Do I have this wired properly so far?

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 14th September 2019, 02:40 AM   #1603
JimmyC23 is offline JimmyC23  United States
diyAudio Member

I forgot to mention that I also need help with the wiring to the AC and LED blue light wiring (on the switch). Once I can get this the rest of the build looks pretty straight forward. Thanks.

Last edited by JimmyC23; 14th September 2019 at 03:01 AM.
Old 14th September 2019, 10:04 PM   #1604
73 and a 3rd is offline 73 and a 3rd  United States
diyAudio Member

I am going to join in with a similar request as the previous posts.

Wiring from the main board to the IEC socket and grounding it. Some better pictures , wiring diagram, or some further explanation would be very helpful to me.
Old 16th September 2019, 05:07 PM   #1605
vizion is offline vizion  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi, what is the output of Whammy in 8 ohms ?
Old 16th September 2019, 06:15 PM   #1606
Mark Johnson is offline Mark Johnson  United States
diyAudio Member

Which headphones have 8 ohms impedance?
Old 17th September 2019, 07:47 AM   #1607
batty is offline batty  Australia
diyAudio Member

I think someone may be trying speakers....
Old 17th September 2019, 07:56 AM   #1608
blackdod is offline blackdod  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Johnson View Post
Which headphones have 8 ohms impedance?

I have/use some headphones with really low impedances (Pioneer Monitor 10, LM700, LM500, SE505 ...)

Jose
Old 17th September 2019, 10:57 AM   #1609
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Whammy will output about a watt into speakers. It doesn’t have the heatsinking nor the transformer to do that for very long.
Old 22nd September 2019, 12:27 AM   #1610
ashleytt is offline ashleytt  Canada
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up New Whammy in the house!

This is my first serious build and it sings!! First build was a $14 6j1 preamp meant more as a soldering practice than anything and a couple mods here and there (mostly just changing caps). So happy everything went quite well except that cutting the IEC inlet was major PITA. Took me 2 hours to drill holes on four corners and try to cut a straight line using a cheap rotary tool I got on Amazon. I'm just glad I didn't cut myself I think I need to get a work table lol I just drill and cut on the floor making a mess on the carpet!

The best part of this build is the PURPLE LED lol. It just looks so damn sexy haha. I didn't isolate the input RCA and the two 3.5mm output jacks at the back at first and it was giving me high pitch noises. So I went ahead and isolated everything at the back from the chassis and it's now noise free. Front 3.5mm jacks are input and bypass. The knob is kinda small so I'll change to a bigger one soon. Thanks everyone for sharing their builds and ideas and the newbie friendly guide and awesome design!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_1781.JPEG (975.7 KB, 332 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_1784.JPEG (862.8 KB, 328 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1783.jpg (417.6 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_1786.JPEG (869.7 KB, 145 views)

"WHAMMY" Pass DIY headphone amp guideHide this!Advertise here!