"WHAMMY" Pass DIY headphone amp guide

The build guide says:
Gain is set by R8/R12. Lower gain, make R12 bigger, unity gain, R12=10K
Has anyone experimented with that? Any sense for how adjusting the gain affects the overall character of the circuit (if at all)?

Also, while I can build these things, my understanding of the circuits is not great. Why is gain set by the ratio between these two values? Is this controlling the feedback that appears on the negative input of the op-amp? (Is even that right?)

The build guide says:

Has anyone experimented with that? Any sense for how adjusting the gain affects the overall character of the circuit (if at all)?

Also, while I can build these things, my understanding of the circuits is not great. Why is gain set by the ratio between these two values? Is this controlling the feedback that appears on the negative input of the op-amp? (Is even that right?)

Why are you interested in increasing the gain?

From my end, I've not needed more gain from this circuit. I've driven a bunch of amplifiers and headphones with the stock build settings for gain/volume pot and have never had to go beyond 12 o'clock. Sound is spectacular anywhere from 6-12 o'clock for me and I've done a lot of critical listening both with headphones and various setups now. In fact, I started my second build with a different pot that resulted in more gain and I had to swap it out because I couldn't get past 9 o'clock without my ears bleeding.

...my understanding of the circuits is not great. Why is gain set by the ratio between these two values?...

Have a look the link for basic non-inverting op-amp theory.

https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/opamp/opamp_3.html

Thanks very much for that link.

The formula given there says that voltage gain is (in this case) 1 + R8/R12 = 1 + 4.75k/1k = 5.75. The build guide says that unity gain is achieved at R12 = 10K, which would be 1 + 4.75k/10k =~ 1.5. Are there aspects of the circuit that also affect this number? E.g., the input resistor R7?

Also, while we're at it, why is C26 there? Wayne probably discusses it in the video, but I've watched it once and can't imagine trying to find one such comment in the whole thing!

The build guide says:

Thanks very much for that link.

The formula given there says that voltage gain is (in this case) 1 + R8/R12 = 1 + 4.75k/1k = 5.75. The build guide says that unity gain is achieved at R12 = 10K, which would be 1 + 4.75k/10k =~ 1.5. Are there aspects of the circuit that also affect this number? E.g., the input resistor R7?

Also, while we're at it, why is C26 there? Wayne probably discusses it in the video, but I've watched it once and can't imagine trying to find one such comment in the whole thing!

Ah I get you. Yes decreasing is more along the lines of what I've had to think about, as I mentioned. If you are driving an amp that already has decent voltage gain you might need to reduce it. The trick (and benefit) of building both is that you can perfectly match them. :)

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
R8/R12. You can adjust that if you want more gain.

Stock is 1000ohm/4750ohm, which makes a gain of 4.75. (Actually just a little less as the output stage is slightly less than unity...)

LCD4 are 200ohm and 97db/mw, Whammy will be able to drive them easily and smoothly to hearing-damage levels.

Last edited:
What is everyone's opinions on how the WHAMMY sounds?

I know most of us do the DIY thing for the fun of building but I'm interested in how it performs relative to what is on the market. What would a comparable off-the-shelf product cost, comparisons to popular alternatives etc..

Thanks!