Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

"WHAMMY" Pass DIY headphone amp guide
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th May 2019, 08:34 PM   #1411
rich1051414 is offline rich1051414
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk856er View Post
Is there a favored Mogami mic cable for internal Whammy wiring? Mogami PN would be helpful - several types are possible!

BK
I had an old XLR to mic cable(which I never use) that I cut. Seems to be what most people are using(or similar).
Old 17th May 2019, 02:49 AM   #1412
bk856er is offline bk856er  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gricko View Post
I use 2496
I can't find a match to that PN.

Looks like W2791 or W2549 or W2944 would be good choices (bulk/markertek), the first two are mic cable and the third console cable.

BK
Old 17th May 2019, 03:37 AM   #1413
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Basically any of the Mic cable (2-conductor plus shield) will work perfectly for the whammy -

W2552 Mogami W2552 Microphone Cable (Black)

W2549 Mogami W2549 Long Run Mic Cable (Blue)

W2697. Mogami W2697 Miniature Balanced Mic Cable (By the Foot)

If you order from there, spend 5 bucks and do yourself a favor and get 20ft of 2381 as well, it's a small flexible coax that makes great wiring to/from RCA jacks and such. My absolute favorite for wiring RCAs to PCBs. Mogami W2381 Black Coaxial Cable, 50 Ohm (By the Foot)
Old Yesterday, 03:14 AM   #1414
rich1051414 is offline rich1051414
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
You don't want a super fast opamp in whammy, (or honestly, in most audio devices) there's absolutely no need and it has the possibility of making it unstable and/or oscillating. If you have a slew rate thats 10 times faster than the absolute fastest music signal theoretically possible, that will be great, and still fairly slow when compared to video signals ad faster things. I.E., super fast isn't important, and can be detrimental.

Broadly speaking, a type that the manufacturer labels suitable for audio will work beautifully.

I really like the LM833 in this circuit as well.
So, for science, I tried my hardest to push the whammy into oscillation, but I failed xD

I grabbed a couple random video op-amps, and they didn't sound the best, but they also wouldn't push the opamp into oscillation.

I then said 'screw it', and grabbed the op amp with the highest slew rate I have on hand, the AD812ANZ, which has a 1600 V/ms Slew. For comparison, the LM833 has a 7 v/ms slow, and the LM4562 has a 20 v/ms slew.

Still no oscillation... and it actually sounds amazing. I gave up. That was not the result I was looking for xD

The weird part is I have sent preamps into oscillation before because of what you were talking about, but I would be damned if I could recreate it on the Whammy xD

Last edited by rich1051414; Yesterday at 03:30 AM.
Old Yesterday, 03:23 AM   #1415
diyAudio Member

Thanks, 6L6, for the Mogami tips! Parts now converging for the preamp piece of "project analog source".

BK
Old Today, 03:22 AM   #1416
diyAudio Member

I seem to be full of questions lately. Trying to line up a 20k Alps RK271 pot and decipher the not-always-complete mfg part numbers. Seems there are two different audio tapers possible, 15A and 3B. Is one preferred or considered standard?

BK
Old Today, 03:40 AM   #1417
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

ALPS 20KAX2 20K Ohm Audio Taper Stereo Potentiometer 6mm Shaft

That one.
Old Today, 03:51 AM   #1418
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
That takes away all the ambiguity - thx.

BK

"WHAMMY" Pass DIY headphone amp guideHide this!Advertise here!