"WHAMMY" Pass DIY headphone amp guide

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Here is what it looked like on an early prototype. Revision to be released soon.

_

Attachments

• single_dual.jpg
    single_dual.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 487
... and then we go to the tie breaker

... the judge rules the winner is the one you can reach with least effort from a seated position (Nelson's First Law):worship:

What if you have both values in the same bag?

Go with whatever Wayne says (Nelson's Second Law):worship:
;):D

Then you close you eyes and choose one.
Or flip a coin.

Wayne is a guru though, so there's always that option too.

Curveball... I went with Rod Elliot :p :D Earthing (Grounding) Your Hi-Fi - Tricks and Techniques

Rod Elliott slams Nelson Pass and his designs pretty hard. Derision and mockery.

Death of Zen - A new Class-A power amp

If forced to choose between the two of those guys, I have an opinion.

Ahh, the politics of audio design (p.s. I am unaware of this particular conflict).

What I'm meaning to say is - I personally don't think 10 vs 100 ohm makes any difference. They're both probably adequate to attenuate the ground loop currents. One may argue that 100ohm is more successful in this regard, or conversely that 100ohm won't allow enough of the current to pass.

Edit: #TeamPass. I went with Wayne's bridge connection rather than Rod's.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Nobody can stop you from doing exactly what you want to do. It might be less important to encircle a Venn diagram around the things which "one may argue" and instead, make a conscious decision to do whatever it is that makes you feel good. This course of action allows you to sidestep the question, which authority will I obey and which will I disregard?

Nobody can stop you from doing exactly what you want to do. It might be less important to encircle a Venn diagram around the things which "one may argue" and instead, make a conscious decision to do whatever it is that makes you feel good. This course of action allows you to sidestep the question, which authority will I obey and which will I disregard?

Spot on. Alternatively the objective approach of trying all solutions and going with the one which works best.

FWIW: 10ohm for me, with clean-ish mains and devices.

Rod Elliott slams Nelson Pass and his designs pretty hard. Derision and mockery.

Death of Zen - A new Class-A power amp

If forced to choose between the two of those guys, I have an opinion.

I read that article many years ago.

While he has some useful content on his site, the guy is a complete dumb ars3.

I bet the idiot hasn't updated his article to show that his JLH clone was defeated by Nelson's PLH with one less gain stage.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
This was released yesterday; it's an input stage daughter card for the M2x power amplifier.

... includes the forehead slap "oh duh" realization that it is possible, practical, and perfectly legal to include two DIP-8 sockets on the PCB. One of the sockets marked "SINGLE" in top silkscreen text, and the other socket marked "DUAL" ... allows the user/builder/listener to plug in and use either a single opamp (one amplifier in a DIP-8, such as LT1122, AD817, OPA627) or a dual opamp (two amplifiers in a DIP-8, such as LM4562, OPA2134, NE5532).

Doubles the number of candidates for "opamp rolling" fun & games. Be sure to purchase tool 1 and also tool 2 before you begin.

_

Attachments

• IPS7_revB_alone.jpg
    IPS7_revB_alone.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 781