"WHAMMY" Pass DIY headphone amp guide

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The compensation caps were causing oscillation. It’s why they are marked as optional for stability on the schematic... they need to be used only if needed.

The hum sounding quiet at the potentiometer extremes and the middle point, but louder everywhere else is the tell-tale of oscillation in this circuit.

Hello, I am a new member and this is my first post. I have built the Whammy amp and LOVE it! Thank you all for your hard work and support.

I have one question about adding an LED to the front panel as a power indicator. I read in the guide “If you want to use one of these as a light for the front panel you may, but it would be better to attach a different LED and resistor to the V+ and ground output of the raw PSU.” Can anyone help me with this as I don’t totally understand? For instance, can someone identify specific pads I should solder to? I’m sorry I don’t know better.

Ok, I guess I have a second question, lol. Will I be able to check the DC voltage from these two pads? I know I need to add a resistor on the positive leg of the LED and I think I can calculate the value as long as I can properly read the voltage.

Thank you in advance!

Joined 2019
Paid Member
@loopyeddie - Welcome!

If you are using this guide -

WHAMMY headphone amplifier - diyAudio Guides

- It looks like you're at Step 8. Read ahead a bit to step 12 - "Testing the PSU". It will show you the pads for measuring V+ and the target value of ~+17V. Loaded, the PSU will put out ~15V per the schematic.

Edited to add the answer to your other question - you can solder your wiring to these pads. The positive pad of C9 may be most easily accessed from the bottom of the board after the cap is installed. You can add a wire to the top or bottom of the GND pad mentioned along with the other wire. There are other options, but since you'll already be familiar with the location of those two, I'd recommend using them.

Last edited:
I am in the process of doing the same thing. If you look at earlier threads from a week or so ago you will see all you need to know. There are options to connect to the unused resitors spaces adjacent to the PSU or alternatively connect direct to the secondary on the transformer which I will do. Any problems let me know. Best wishes

N

New Build

Hello, I set aside my board with the LED anomaly and decided to start fresh with the other board I have. I was out of LEDs so decided to build the “Resistor reference” version. I did not install caps at C9 or C28–should I have?

When I measure at C9, I get 20 volts, not 17. I also notice AC voltage is at 123, not 120. Are these issues related?

Should I be following the guide and measuring at R13 and R14, even though I have resistors there?

Sorry for the stupid questions, this is all new to me.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The resistors will raise the regulator voltage, but the stock values assume an 18V or more transformer. If you have a 15v transformer build the "naked regulator" version.

IMG_1566.jpg