"WHAMMY" Pass DIY headphone amp guide

So given NP's finger rule it sounds like they're running over 55c! 27v down to 17v is a 10 volt drop that the regs. have to absorb and release as heat. The 18vac xformer would surely be a better option. It may work but with a shorter lifespan. Taller sinks may help if you have 'em. Check orientation of the caps too.

TJ

27 sounds a bit high but could just be because there was no load connected. In any case with 22v secondaries there is going to be quite a drop for the regulators to burn off, which is why they get hot. From the lm7815 datasheet, their max operating temperatures are 70 C, so if they are beyond that is probably wise to switch off and troubleshoot. On the other hand, 22v is Approx 31v after rectification, which means 14v dropout. At 60 mA bias that’s 0.84W. If the regs thermal resistance is 50c/w that means that even without heat sink at a 25 c room temperature you would still be below the 70 c max. With heat sinks you should not have problems. That said, I would measure the temperature of the regulators bodies to decide.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The output stage of this headphone amp could drive loudspeakers if properly heatsinked... Unless you have some crazy inefficient high impedance planar headphones AND you like to listen at levels that will quickly and permanently damage your hearing, you'll never use anything more than 5% of the output of this amp. :) Don't worry about sag. If you want to swap for a 18V transformer you'll never hear any difference. That said, I'm still curious why they are so hot. It's not normal. Did you stuff too many bits into the PSU near the regulators? You know you are not supposed to use all the parts... Please post some photos.

Unfortunately I don't have a temp gauge to measure with. Per the NP scale, somewhere between crikey hot and bloody hot. ;)

The white wire thingy is my led circuit, per Highflyin9s example on post #93. I verified everything was working before I added this. The heat sinks were already getting hot before the addition of this circuit as well.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
The regulators can run quite hot on the 22 Volt transformer depending on your output bias and the regulators voltage or the ground reference. I have run them at 100 C for a year just as a test and they don't seem to fail. Not recommended but they survived. For this application I don't really see an issue.
They are also protected. I would like to see the size sink you need to get the rated 1.5 amps on one of these.

Unfortunately I don't have a temp gauge to measure with. Per the NP scale, somewhere between crikey hot and bloody hot. ;)

The white wire thingy is my led circuit, per Highflyin9s example on post #93. I verified everything was working before I added this. The heat sinks were already getting hot before the addition of this circuit as well.

Are you sure it is not oscillating?

Lbud4, I don't think so. At least the sound through my headphones doesn't indicate anything is wrong. Seemed the voltage drop with the 22v transformer is the issue. But not a big one. I'll just run as is. If the regulators ever burn out, which I don't think they will, I'll drop the transformer voltage. Great project Wayne! Thanks to you and everyone that worked on developing it!