"WHAMMY" Pass DIY headphone amp guide

Hi everyone. Apologize if this has been in the thread already.

I am looking at the place to tap to the regulated power to feed the Power LED and Muses board. Both would be operating at 15v.

+/- 15V for the Muses

+15V for the LED.

The R10 and R14 look like a good place to tap. Would this be the right ones ?

Thanks,
Oleg

Whammy OCD continues...

I'm not recommending anyone try this—In my quest for smaller is better... But here's a dead quiet (just the like the first one I made) Whammy in a Modushop 1U Galaxy 230mm square chassis—with blind attached front plate. There was some luck involved here! It's TIGHT in there. —not the kit heat sinks, nor the kit transformer—they are both too tall for a 1U—I think I changed the PSU caps too.

Man I love this amp! Thanks Wayne.

sweet looking build!

Outlet is switchable headphone socket. Time to add wiring for additional use as preamp. Wayne commented favorably on this but I think someone else recommended the addition of termination resistance.

Am I dreaming or is it buried somewhere in this thread?

Is it needed?

For my Whammy, I used Mark Johnson's Noir HPA output design of 100 ohms in series with the output connected to 220K across the jack. Works fine and sounds good. Here's a link to the schematic:
Noir, a two transistor headphone amp: class-A, single ended, 150mA bias

For my Whammy, I used Mark Johnson's Noir HPA output design of 100 ohms in series with the output connected to 220K across the jack. Works fine and sounds good. Here's a link to the schematic:
Noir, a two transistor headphone amp: class-A, single ended, 150mA bias

Interesting. Is the other end of the 220k connected to the pcb ground or its just left open and not connected to anything? As I saw in the post, it seems like in the schematics it shows it leads to ground (I'm not a great schematic reader, but was a bit confused) but in the pcb it shows that it's not connected to anywhere and left open.

I'm guessing it should be left open and not be connected to ground? Since it doesn't make sense, otherwise the output has direct connection to ground.

Interesting. Is the other end of the 220k connected to the pcb ground or its just left open and not connected to anything? As I saw in the post, it seems like in the schematics it shows it leads to ground (I'm not a great schematic reader, but was a bit confused) but in the pcb it shows that it's not connected to anywhere and left open.

I'm guessing it should be left open and not be connected to ground? Since it doesn't make sense, otherwise the output has direct connection to ground.

Design uses output jacks that are isolated RCA type with isolated "ground" shell connected only to circuit ground. 100 ohm resistor is in series with one end connected to circuit + output and the other connected to the RCA center pin out.

The 220K load resistor connects from center pin of the RCA to the RCA shell, or any other circuit ground point, not chassis ground.

Design uses output jacks that are isolated RCA type with isolated "ground" shell connected only to circuit ground. 100 ohm resistor is in series with one end connected to circuit + output and the other connected to the RCA center pin out.

The 220K load resistor connects from center pin of the RCA to the RCA shell, or any other circuit ground point, not chassis ground.

Ahh alright! Thanks! I'll try it on my build so I can use it as a preamp too.

LOL...I am simply AMAZED that this thread has made it over 2000 replies for a fair-sounding-at-best headphone/preamplifier.

I sold my "WHAMMY" example, which I purchased the PCB from the DIY Audio Store, many months ago since it wasn't even in the same class as the Schiit Magni 3(the original version, NOT the plus edition that's currently offered).

I think members here should wake up and realize that Mr. Colburn is capable of designing a better headphone/preamplifier design than this inferior and lame-sounding "WHAMMY" design.
You can change out op-amps to your heart's desire and you still won't achieve the sound quality of the Magni 3.

So...come on Mr. Colburn and bring the DIY community here with a better-sounding headphone/preamplifier along with a chip-based volume control that you've implemented into all those RIDICULOUSLY overpriced Pass preamplifiers.

Wayne, you're the man and hopefully we can move onto something better-sounding than this "WHAMMY" design...LOL.

Last edited:
ZM beat me to it, and perhaps way more effective and succinct. For the noobs out there—who like to build stuff—my response goes like this—from my PERSONAL SUBJECTIVE version of reality:

- The headphones are the number one factor to "sound" in my experience with HPAs. Let's not even comment on "good". Highly personal and subjective. I have at least 10 styles/designs of cans and IEMs around here.
- A DAC completely changes all of the metrics of "sound" and "good".
- Your source and file qualities, if digital, completely change the metrics of "sound" and "good".
- Attitude of gratitude is always the best path to get what you want—with anything.
- Schitt is awesome. Magni is a single rose in the bouquet of beautiful roses. And it sounds great. The story of Schitt as a company is also incredible and great.
- If Wayne DID make another HPA design (or anything!)—I would gladly build it. More than once. With immeasurable gratitude. We personally interact with his creations daily. MORE!
- It's way more fun to build something yourself even with a lot of help than to buy it off a shelf/web.

!!

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Sound is in the ears of the beholder.... Sounds awesome to me and I built it. 😁

Amen. I have liked the sound of Whammy from the first note; I like it best with the V6 Vivid. In all fairness, this is subjective. If somebody doesn't think it's a great head-amp or pre-amp they should move on. They are entitled to their opinion. This is a friendly forum of very helping people starting with Nelson Pass and Wayne. Most of us would not have written that post but some people are critical and negative. It's just their nature. We need those voices of dissent to keep us on course. I am not upset by one person's honest opinion. The WHAMMY has provided me many hours of fun. Too bad that wasn't the case for the OP. I agree with him Schiit stuff is great--I have bought lots of it. For me it sounds more like my Whammy than not.

On other forums the OP would be condemned as a troll. Let's not do that here. Maybe he just had a bad day. Time to move on.

Thanks again to all of you for helping make this such a fun hobby.

mercedese63

I used to have to mix and match my headphones with my HPAs to find combinations that sounded best. When I first built the Whammy, I was not that impressed and rated it below several other HPAs of mine. But I heard differences with every opamp I tried in the front end of the Whammy. When I finally tried my sixth opamp, an OPA1612, I knew I had what I needed and it moved to the top of my list. The Whammy is the only HPA that allows all of my headphones to sound as good or better than my best mix-and-match efforts. It is a tribute to Wayne's design that it totally and accurately provides a low impedance output drive capability to whatever sonic character the front end opamp has to offer. This is an HPA designed for DIYers, not consumers. It rewards experimentation.

My one experience with Schiit products, the Loki (which I'm not using with headphones) is that the circuit sounds good but the construction is cheap - it had one toggle switch that became intermittent almost immediately and it came from the factory with the chassis not well aligned with the PCB. At least I know the quality of the parts I put into my Whammy.