1, 2, SIT3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I’ve now had my SIT3 for a couple weeks. This is a stunning amplifier. I went from the Pass entry level — monoed ACSs to this puppy.

Officially the same power but it seems to be able to play louder than the ACA, and it has seamless, organic wholeness to the music that was only hinted at by the ACAs.

Given the limited number i expect resale prices to soon rise above retail (and sane users will likely not be all that tempted to sell).

Soon, i’ll have to drag my other big WAW from downstairs… the SIT3 will work with my already constructed PPLXO (egarly awaiting B$ diyAudio Store kit) and i can see what it will do as a midTweeter amp.

dave

The Mofo is an amp i’d like to hear.

dave

I had built something like Mofo, though it wasn't exactly Mofo :) It was a Mosfet follower with IRFP250N, with lightbulbs as Constant current source, driven by BoZ preamp, but to me it sounded somehow dull and lifeless. But I still think it depends a lot on the preamp, and surely inductor load does not sound the same as lightbulb load (CCS).
So, I just "turned it upside down" into something like F2 with those lightbulbs as CCS, and wow, it was much better, and I am using that now.
Not to go far offtopic, everyone, without exception, is praising the SIT amp variants. In the local forum, there is a "SIT craze" if I can call it like that :D

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Just saw this question.

Tell a little about music server you are using?

It's a very simple ITX platform motherboard not sure of the make, might be AsRock. Not modified in anyway.
Just shut off as many unnecessary services/functions in BIOS. Has 2 Gb RAM. Uses a pico power supply.
Powered by 19v brick. No fans. No WiFi. No hard disk; connects to FreeNAS network attached storage (NAS) over CAT6.
Using Daphile music server software.
Other DAC is Soekris v3.

Also have:
RPi music server with Volumio.
ASUS Tinker Board with Volumio
Another ITX server with Daphile.
All connect to same NAS.
FreeNAS is backed up by another FreeNAS.

I’ve now had my SIT3 for a couple weeks. This is a stunning amplifier. I went from the Pass entry level — monoed ACSs to this puppy.

Officially the same power but it seems to be able to play louder than the ACA, and it has seamless, organic wholeness to the music that was only hinted at by the ACAs.

Given I had SIT-3 for about two months for hard and thorough evaluation, the final conclusion (just as with everything else in audio) depends on a point of reference. I've owned some FW clones and heard quite a few other, including original PL or FW off-shelf products.

Quite possible SIT-3 sits on the top of the family line. However there are amps there that sounds clearly better, though not sure if for the price of SIT-3. I bought it to see whether it can be a lifetime replacement for supreme DH triode based SE amp I live with, but in my room it can't. Also it was clearly beaten by two other amps of a similar topology and extreme execution (Thomas Mayer 300b, NAT Audio 211 and ultimate 6C33C DIY).

Given I also own the original L'Audiophile Hiraga 20 Class A amp, I must add I find it superior to SIT-3 in almost every department except in mid-bass where the Pass amp has a terrific speed and grip.

In the end I sold it out, feeling it's a good amp - only that I know better. I was in touch with another two owners who similarly sold them out after finding that the hype about similar H2 to DHT is certainly what it is - the hype. For those who prefers solid state to tube, it's a sort of a bargain.

What speakers are you using? One cannot separate the evaluation of an amplifier independent of the speakers (and wire) used with it.

dave

I'm using horns - Oris Swing.

SIT-3 was tested with similar conclusions with Tannoy Berkeley and Tannoy Cheviot, both x-overs modded and drivers serviced - so in very good condition.

My wire is Duelund flat solid core in cotton (I don't know designation), I didn't experiment with anything else. I am a bit of cable sceptic, I hear differences but not dramatic (in a sense that a cable can convert a bad sounding system into a good one).

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Just saw this question.

It's a very simple ITX platform motherboard not sure of the make, might be AsRock. Not modified in anyway.
Just shut off as many unnecessary services/functions in BIOS. Has 2 Gb RAM. Uses a pico power supply.