1, 2, SIT3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
see- much written in few first sentences of 6moon article

Nelson Pass had teased today's assignment with "..."been pondering when and how to release the SIT-3, probably the last commercial SemiSouth SIT amp. It still puts out 10 watts and so on but operates the device as a follower in common-drain mode. The SIT-1 and 2 used the SIT in common-source mode. That resulted in the interesting character of those two amplifiers to highlight the triode nature of the device. Common-drain lacks voltage gain but offers much lower noise, distortion and output impedance. In the SIT-3, the voltage gain develops through an input stepup autoformer which gives about 12dB. No feedback of course. Same box as ever. Lower price. The last piece of business there is a new front end." By the end of that review, the project had morphed to "the SIT-3 was recently revised as a result of marathon listening sessions. Another circuit version emerged the winner. I expect a pilot run to surface beginning of March followed shortly by production."

one case - think how much dissipation

10W , common drain ;

is it PP or SE - who cares ...... especially taking in account that PapaSit is factually of unique Sex , so no other (natural) one to pair it with

so , it can't be "normal" PP ...... so either pure SE or extremely wakoo PP ......

knowing what I know , hard to say how it would be easy/hard to guess , without knowing ...... :)

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Got permission from FunnyPa ..... to say little more

SIT 3 is nothing more and nothing less ...... than Most Greedy Boy, of them all... or (there is no) DEFiSIT of Papa's Koans

:clown:

645957d1510778119-greedy-boy-defisit-papas-koans-img_6358-jpg

Frank-Zappa_Overnite-Sensation.jpg

as hinted , pretty wakoo follower

A picture says a thousand words.

Cannot tell from picture if the 2 big transistors per channel are SIT's without closeup picture or much more info than described by 6moons from picture. Can see input transformer and big cap on output guessing. Interesting though.

Last edited:
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I think I have told the story already, but last January we engaged in
extensive listening sessions of three similar amplifiers, one of which was
the DEFiSIT and another was the "original" SIT-3 design.

I did not favor the DEFiSIT simply because it is difficult to obtain matches
for the complementary devices, costing more, and limiting the percentage
of SIT parts that could be used.

However, the DEFiSIT sounded better, and a version of it is now the SIT-3.

I am currently assembling the pilot run of SIT-3's, and production at
Pass Labs will commence shortly after.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.