Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

1, 2, SIT3
1, 2, SIT3
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th March 2019, 05:33 PM   #91
sontero is online now sontero  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anubisgrau View Post
Certainly reviews and hype (including this forum) are misguiding, just as always in audio. I only trust what I hear myself in my system which is anyway referent enough to test anything I wish.

Even though it was enough what I, together with a number of local audiophiles and DIY-ers witnessed and heard during numerous repeated tests (and after what I would personally not care to read any "logical" excuses), it seems we were not the only one to conclude the same, vis-a-vis SIT emulating tube amps. As close as it gets:

Click the image to open in full size.

FirstWatt SIT-3 Class A amplifier amp Nelson Pass For Sale - US Audio Mart

Cheers!

PS. Contrary to what I wrote earlier, the third amp that was actually the most superior in comparison was not a DHT one, but indirect-heated 6C33C based PSE amp, a radical product by a local DIY wizz, eng. Ferenc Lazar. But again unfair comparison because this is a 20k shelf value sonic territory with some unique solutions to compensate a notorious unlinearity of the russian tube plus 13 pieces of iron under the bonnet including a rather revolutionary interstage step up.
I think you don't know what you want. You had your perfect DHT tube ..... why buy the SIT-3?
Why didn't you build that mysterious amp with 6C33? too expensive? or you were afraid to repent ... all things already seen and heard. In the end to justify your step from the faults of the incautious gesture to those who appreciated in full freedom of judgment ..... should they not express their judgment?
Personally, if I make a choice, I do it in solitude ..... I listen to myself and value myself ..... so I don't have to complain to anyone.
Old 15th March 2019, 08:32 AM   #92
anubisgrau is offline anubisgrau  Serbia
diyAudio Member

You are asking too many question and actually none is your concern. I would only mind to answer those related to the topic.

The reason why I am interested to go solid state is to lower the costs of the exploitation of DHT-based systems. Good 300b tubes (EML, new Western Electric, Takatsuki, Elrog) are currently $1200-$1600. During summer I run Gainclone which is okay for background listening but very far from the SQ levels of my main system (- as well as of SIT-3, for what it's worth). Yes, SIT-3 beat badly Gainclone.

I understand you don't have the amp we are talking about nor any experience with. So you are writing about a different amp, right? Even the speakers you listed look dubious for a serious testing of an universal meaning. But let it be.

And on top you even don't read what I wrote since I don't question the quality of SIT-3 but only what was written on internet about a character of the sound. Thousands of posts around 2HD curves, DHT emulation etc etc and some people get some expectations - not only me.

To repeat: the device (just like any other) should be put in a real experience perspective, not 6moons or forum or sales pitch.

As written earlier, for what it costs, it's an excellent amp except that it is simply not what was hyped. If you come from the solid state line (like planet10's ACA) quite possibly you will not know for better, unless a very very expensive ones, 5 figures minimum. And the consumers of D'Augustino and similar are not here anyway.

Last edited by anubisgrau; 15th March 2019 at 08:44 AM.
Old 15th March 2019, 09:20 AM   #93
vdi_nenna is offline vdi_nenna  United States
diyAudio Member

1, 2, SIT3
Quote:
The amp is certainly excellent only that soundwise it is not what some hyped it for - a replacement for true DHT.
Where was the SIT3 hyped as a replacement for a true DHT? I'd like to read the review or article.

What's the cost of a good commercial DHT amplifier?
Old 15th March 2019, 09:30 AM   #94
anubisgrau is offline anubisgrau  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Even if Srajan 6moons articles (where he expresses a preference to any DHT amp) were not linked here as a proof of superiority (why would anyone link his blahblahblings on this forum?), it would have been enough to read numerous repetitions of similarities of SIT with DHT 2HD curves to understand as a hint towards expectations.

I certainly agree the comparison is unfair since a proper DHT amp is more costly than SIT-3 (unless you buy s/h). And certainly much more difficult to DIY than any SIT based clone, very much off limits of a soldering beginner. You get what you pay, sometimes.

Guys, I really don't mind to think whatever anyone wants - my post was directed only to those who are aiming SIT to be a replacement for DHT (which was a part of a hive mind). These voices exist and they also deserve to be heard just as those claiming SIT superiority to DHT.

No need for any non-related discussion really and I will not continue this.

Best!

Last edited by anubisgrau; 15th March 2019 at 09:38 AM.
Old 15th March 2019, 10:00 AM   #95
indra1 is offline indra1  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anubisgrau View Post
... And certainly much more difficult to DIY than any SIT based clone, very much off limits of a soldering beginner. ...
Sorry, I have to disagree. You just need bigger soldering iron, 40-60W. For some of us, a DHT amp project is way easier, you can actually see the parts and no worry on ESD.
Old 15th March 2019, 10:43 AM   #96
cjfrbw is offline cjfrbw  United States
diyAudio Member

Who really cares one way or another about some mythic battle in the audiophile clouds between SET and SIT.

The good news is that some limited production SIT-3 were released back to people who can use them and appreciate them.
Old 15th March 2019, 11:38 AM   #97
nicoch58 is offline nicoch58  Europe
diyAudio Member

HOpes Papa put out the last sony saga soon
Old 15th March 2019, 11:50 AM   #98
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

1, 2, SIT3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoch58 View Post
HOpes Papa put out the last sony saga soon
why last?

you better think - next

Old 15th March 2019, 11:57 AM   #99
vdi_nenna is offline vdi_nenna  United States
diyAudio Member

1, 2, SIT3
Quote:
Guys, I really don't mind to think whatever anyone wants - my post was directed only to those who are aiming SIT to be a replacement for DHT (which was a part of a hive mind). These voices exist and they also deserve to be heard just as those claiming SIT superiority to DHT.
You can't write things or make claims without getting any kind of response. If you want no reaction, post this sort of thing on your own web site on a locked blog. Seriously, no one will take what you as fact, since all of this in mostly based on personal taste and a lot of technical variations.
Can't just say, "this what we found" and be done with it. You're going to be asked questions.

Considering the company here, saying someone can't build something, is a mistake in judgement.
That's the thing about aquiring a skill. Just takes time to prove a point.
Old 15th March 2019, 12:45 PM   #100
indra1 is offline indra1  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod View Post
...you better think - next
The all new UC Davis SIT is coming real soon?

1, 2, SIT3Hide this!Advertise here!