Replacement For Toshiba 2SK170/2SJ74

Hi,
I intend to build an Aleph J amplifier where I need two 2SJ74 transistors that I do not find or rightly say are very expensive from reliable sources.
Can anyone tell-me if I can use 2N5021 in their place or are they not equivalent? I'm not experienced enough to decide.
Thank you !

Replacement of Tosh 2SJ74

Niculian,

if you take the trouble of reading through the 34 pages of this thread you would have a taste of the sufferings others went through already when trying to find affordable alternatives to the discontinued Tosh's.
First advice is: DO NOT buy any "original Tosh devices" at prices of $3...5,-! It's all faikes even when offered by local dealers with seemingly good reputation.
A safe route used to be the diyaudio store but they are sold out and it sometimes takes ages before they get fresh stuff.
Remains the service of other diyaudio members who do have surplus stock of genuine Tosh's or LS. They offer these devices at fair prices. It is months ago I used such services myself so I am bit out of this scene and cannot recommend anyone without prechecking. In this thread you will find a no. of names who offered this in the past.

Actual drop in replacements do not exist so it will take probably elaborate try and error experimenting to find something half way working.
Good luck anyway

Jfet-pair.jpg

Modding and took these out from my Marantz CD 63SE HDAM unit. They are not match ...one is 12 ish the other 17 ish IDSS.