Zen Variation 9

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello.
I am new here. I joined because I have a 'little' problem with my Zen v9. I have made Zen v4 and it sounds well but I found LU1014 and I wanted to do v9. I know it's an old contruction but it should sound much better. I made PCB according to fig.8 of this article Zen Variations 9 | Pass DIY but I can't set any current by setting P1.
I don't understand a way of control Q1. I have 44V instead of about 23V on a drain of Q2. It means there is no current. I can set 3V on drain of Q1 but there is still no current. Q1 is stuck. But it's connected to ground by R17+R7. Lu1014 is a N-channel transistor so it is switched off by grounding. I made a test schema according to fig 10 and if its gate was connected to ground Q1 didn't conduct. It conducted only if I got + to gate.
So if you were so pleasant and patient please explain it to me.

............. Lu1014 is a N-channel transistor so it is switched off by grounding.
Lu1014 is a depletion mode FET
Depletion and enhancement modes - Wikipedia
I made a test schema according to fig 10 and if its gate was connected to ground Q1 didn't conduct. It conducted only if I got + to gate.
So if you were so pleasant and patient please explain it to me.
you are describing an Enhancement mode FET.
Looks like you have bought fakes or you are not testing them correctly.
Vertical mosFETs are available very cheaply. All the cheap ones are enhancement mode. These are what get used to make fakes of the more expensive Laterals and jFETs.

Last edited:
Thank you for your fast reply.
I suppose they are fake (China). I checked PCB twice and I found a mistake before. C1 capacitor was mounted inversely and it conducted. Then I was able to set the current because I give + to gate of Q1. But R7 resistor was burning.
Where can I buy real LU1014.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.