FW B5 DIY! anyone??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2003
Paid Member
OK then....looks like time to heat up solder gun, get plenty of solder, start contemplating another speaker build, Pass DIY cross overs...yes it is going to be a very good year. Being mere beginner, there will be a lot of smoke to clear for me, so much buying, one of everything I "might need" just in case!

Now time to get busy with crypto coins to finance all of this.

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Using a soldering gun in DIY audio is generally regarded as being like using a chainsaw to perform eye surgery. :)

Soldering iron. :)

Ahhhh! I get it! Sorry, old school term, no I use solder Irons, 2 Hakko units, no SOLDER GUNZ used here! For a minute, I thought we were going to get pre Papa soldered boards! Just as well, I would frame those and hang them on the walls as art, and listen to my sloppy work!

Thanks for the clarification all...

Russellc

Joined 2010
Paid Member
A question if I may? I imagine that pass labs must have a best practice matching transistor process (given the numbers of items involved). What does that workstation/equipment/ binning look like?

I ask as I bodgy up something each time I do a matching, and it's slow and admittedly a bit half assed as a process. I'm curious to know how it's done on an industrial scale! :)

At 10 seconds a jfet to test and bin, that's still over 700 hours work just to sort them... :Eeek:

Joined 2003
Paid Member

have two Hakkos, an older 936, which I bought new, and a 929 which I bought on the DIY forum a few years ago, someone had a bunch of them (used) they got from somewhere, I think I paid 60 bucks for it. It is superior to my 936, uses a metal credit card type of deal which must be inserted to alter temp, etc. Its a little banged up but works great. It weighs about twice what my 936 weighs.

My 936 has no display, but the 929 does. I think I paid about 120.00 ( several years ago ) when I bought it. If that clone is the same quality, it is a great buy.

BTW, replacement sponges from Hakko are great. They come like a piece of yellow paper shrink wrapped. Once wet they do blow up to full size. I thought I had ordered the wrong item when I first saw them!

Russellc

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.