Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

A First Watt Car Amp!!
A First Watt Car Amp!!
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th April 2019, 08:28 PM   #31
cubicincher is offline cubicincher  Germany
diyAudio Member

Why not using a class a amp in a car audio system? Or with a class a - driver stage?
People are doing so crazy things...
But you need power.

Greets
Dirk
Old 27th May 2019, 03:44 PM   #32
tsmith1315 is online now tsmith1315  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubicincher View Post
I remember my first car audio setup I bought step by step when I was 18 years old (I was jobbing in my freetime to get the money):

Harman /Kardon CH161 with compact cassette

Harman / Kardon active crossover (I think it was named CXO-1)

2x Harman /Kardon CA260 poweramps
1x Harman /Kardon CA240 poweramp
MOREL silk dome mid/tweeter
ETON Midbass
JBL Subwoofer
This was in 1986 - I had such a lot of fun with it....
And this in my first, cheap FIAT. I think the value of the car audio system was higher than the value of the used car
Does it make sense? I can't answer this - I did it.

Greets
Dirk

Dirk, you must have been doing well with your free time, that was $$$ car equipment. The H/K stuff alone was likely more than the FIAT!
All of that would have been in the $2500 range in $US back then.

That CH161 (I'm impressed you remember the model#'s) was an odd design, DIN sized with shaft mount 3-hole provisions, too. It was a little complicated to mount, and way up there on the cost ladder.

I still have a couple of H/K 260's
Old 30th May 2019, 05:45 AM   #33
lgreen is offline lgreen  United States
diyAudio Member

I have heard a lot of audio systems. And in 1985 or 2019 I cannot agree that Car audio is inferior.

Car Audio can be and for most serious people who installed it is better than many home systems.

Why?

Car can be at 120 DB playback where engine noise and PS noise is not a problem.
Try this at home when neighbors are asking you to turn everything off and fuses are going out. And Police show up.

Car can be tailored to best sound with subwoofers and crossover and bi-tri amping.
Home- almost never this amount of adjustment. Bi Amp if lucky- tri amp almost never.

Car has illusion of movment when music is playing- actually it is not an illustion, the thing is actually moving and stimulating senses.
Home has only bad illusion of movement. Not relevant for some tracks but very relevant for others.

Sure, the best home audio systems are better but you can rock out with a car system for much less and have it sound great.

I think all the assumptions about noise, glass windows (diffraction etc...) and limited power actually do not apply to modern car systems (even from 1985) as I have heard many car systems surpass home systems. I don't know why car systems get a bad rap- maybe just becuase many seek high SPL not overall SQ?

Car audio is almost always tweaked with every amp channel and crossover and speaker seperately adjusted to sound the best it can be but home audio is almost never tweaked, its preamp + amp + speakers + source and thats it with vol up or down.

But either way, a nicely set up car system will, in my view, be close to most home systems out there. For example, easy to get full bass to 20 HZ, unlike home systems. Also can EQ HF to compensate for windows where most home HiFi does not even have tone controls. Just saying there is more to this than most people think.

Also- if you calcualte the time spent in a car vs. the time in your specially set up listening room afer your equipment hit the ideal warmup period, most people would have more time in the car...just estimating here...

Last edited by lgreen; 30th May 2019 at 06:11 AM.
Old 30th May 2019, 05:52 PM   #34
Nelson Pass is offline Nelson Pass  United States
The one and only

A First Watt Car Amp!!
To me, car audio and home theater are both situations quite different from the
usual two channel enjoyment of music, and the aesthetic is different. With the
Adcom car audio it became clear that something that might sound very good in
a listening room was not necessarily going to be popular in a car.
Old 22nd July 2019, 01:09 AM   #35
phase is offline phase  United States
diyAudio Member

Certain General Motors cars had openings for 4 X 10 speakers in the dash, if you removed them, and placed nicer 4”, and tweeter, the tweeter could be aimed to reflect off the windshield to provide an astonishing imaging effect.
Sounded similar to electrostatic panels in a home environment. The evil glass can be used as an asset.

My current approach is to try and maintain the quality in the equipment as is expected in the home system, however my friends with the traditional loud-is-better approach haven’t caught on yet.

A First Watt Car Amp!!Hide this!Advertise here!