Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

A First Watt Car Amp!!
A First Watt Car Amp!!
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th November 2017, 11:50 PM   #11
WBS is offline WBS  United States
diyAudio Member

A First Watt Car Amp!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppler9000 View Post
“…my VW Rabbit diesel. It sounded great…” ≠ “Sound quality and car is oxymoron(ic)...”
Why not? It's simply one example.

I agree with res07njc. If it makes you happy to explore your passion go for it!

However, no matter what you do or what car you put it in, or how much money you spend, it'll never come close to something like a properly set up FirstWatt J2 in a living room. (Unless maybe you're parked with the motor off in the wilderness.

Last edited by WBS; 30th November 2017 at 11:52 PM.
Old 1st December 2017, 02:25 AM   #12
Doppler9000 is offline Doppler9000  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBS View Post
Why not? It's simply one example.
One example disproves the thesis, doesn't it?

The concepts are either mutually exclusive or they’re not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBS
I agree with res07njc. If it makes you happy to explore your passion go for it!
I am not the OP. I chimed in because I found the response to the initial query to be gratuitous and counterfactual. Passion and curiosity ought to be encouraged, I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBS
However, no matter what you do or what car you put it in, or how much money you spend, it'll never come close to something like a properly set up FirstWatt J2 in a living room. (Unless maybe you're parked with the motor off in the wilderness.
I am guessing we all agree on this.
Old 1st December 2017, 03:12 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

A First Watt Car Amp!!
Again, you missed the point. My example implied it sounded great for what it was, a car stereo, not a high end audio system.

Whether someone chooses to be pedantic or not doesn't change the fact that an automobile is a sub optimal environment in which to appreciate the benefits of Class A operation.
Old 1st December 2017, 07:59 PM   #14
bigfishe is offline bigfishe  United States
diyAudio Member

I got out of car audio a long time ago but this year at the DIY Audio competition in Dayton
I went out back and heard some amazing car audio all DSPed.
I too was thinking a car system was not the ideal environment but man I was proved wrong!
Old 1st December 2017, 08:53 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

A First Watt Car Amp!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfishe View Post
I got out of car audio a long time ago but this year at the DIY Audio competition in Dayton
I went out back and heard some amazing car audio all DSPed.
I too was thinking a car system was not the ideal environment but man I was proved wrong!
Well, be sure to keep us posted on which direction you take and how it works out.

I actually recall recently seeing a thread that mentioned using the MoFo for car audio.
Old 1st December 2017, 09:05 PM   #16
merlinx76 is offline merlinx76  Canada
diyAudio Member

It's kinda like listening to headphones that you can feel. No reason why it can't sound pretty damn good if you put the resources into it. It isn't ideal, but neither is your average room by a long shot.
Old 1st December 2017, 09:43 PM   #17
Doppler9000 is offline Doppler9000  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBS View Post
Again, you missed the point. My example implied it sounded great for what it was, a car stereo, not a high end audio system.

Whether someone chooses to be pedantic or not doesn't change the fact that an automobile is a sub optimal environment in which to appreciate the benefits of Class A operation.
I got your points.
You believe that car stereos don’t sound as good high-end home stereos, and that cars are not the optimal place to enjoy all of the benefits conferred by Class A amplification.

These points are strawmen.

No one has suggested that a car is optimal for sound quality. The OP said he wanted a car with good SQ. He likely believed that readers of the thread would understand the context of the question, i.e., that the stereo would be in a car and not a home, and that the resulting constraints would be understood.

A bit sad that using standard definitions is described as “pedantic” – sign of the times, I suppose.

In any case, this thread is sufficiently soiled – apologies to the OP to the extent I contributed. I hope someone who can help you with your project will respond.
Old 1st December 2017, 09:59 PM   #18
llwhtt is offline llwhtt  United States
diyAudio Member

The only sound system a car needs is two 2 1/2" - 3" speakers under the rear bumper!

Craig
Old 23rd March 2018, 02:21 AM   #19
pcb121055 is offline pcb121055  United States
diyAudio Member

Hey Bigfishe... did you give this a shot? Any progress?
Old 23rd March 2018, 03:56 AM   #20
stocktrader200 is offline stocktrader200  Canada
diyAudio Member

llwhtt , and a sweet V8 to drive them !!

A First Watt Car Amp!!Hide this!Advertise here!