Most Greedy Boy, of them all... or (there is no) DEFiSIT of Papa's Koans

well , I'm the one who is obsessed with DC coupling , but Papa obviously isn't

everything is much simpler , when you decide to use cap or two

dunno what will be for production iteration , but this one is CRCRC ; that's pretty much enough ....... we (greedy Boyz) are anyway used to choose our poison , same as size of it

Well Papa has not reached my level of Sissy yet at 880,000uF per channel.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
nope

F4 Koan is 800VA Donut , separate secondaries for channels
M2 Koan having 250VA Donut per channel
DEFiSIT Koan having , say, 170VA Donut per channel

think about idle dissipation of each of them , same as of dynamic behavior ...... I didn't skimped anywhere ..... pretty much going I'm Rhinoceros Rider route each time

:devilr:

well , I'm the one who is obsessed with DC coupling , but Papa obviously isn't

everything is much simpler , when you decide to use cap or two

I'm not worried about C1 or C2 b/c impedances are so high after them. Just trying to learn.
(I am worried about C5/6, but then I never heard an output cap in front of the speakers - so my worries are probably unfounded)

ZM ,

What about a spooky Sony or Tokin THF-51S V-FET DEFISIT ...for those who have them ;) ?

Hello CeeVee. The two FETs in DEFiSIT have been "hand-selected" from many pieces of SIT-1 and P-MOS. They have identical [-Vgs], identical but opposing temperature coefficiencts for thermal stability, and possibly identical but opposing microAmp gate currents which cancel to zero, plus many more identical characteristics. DEFiSIT is one of a kind pair of FETs which operates push-pull and has a $$ value equal to or more of their sum weight in Platinum metal.

DEFiSIT is highly protected with a thermistor to limit its in-rush drain current, and a blocking capacitor at its power output; which also protects the loudspeaker, plus a Zener across Vgs.

DEFISIT is a superb piece of technology and the insides of its amp are art.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
:devilr:
Hello CeeVee. The two FETs in DEFiSIT have been "hand-selected" from many pieces of SIT-1 and P-MOS. They have identical [-Vgs], identical but opposing temperature coefficiencts for thermal stability, and possibly identical but opposing microAmp gate currents which cancel to zero, plus many more identical characteristics. DEFiSIT is one of a kind pair of FETs which operates push-pull and has a $$ value equal to or more of their sum weight in Platinum metal.

DEFiSIT is highly protected with a thermistor to limit its in-rush drain current, and a blocking capacitor at its power output; which also protects the loudspeaker, plus a Zener across Vgs.

DEFISIT is a superb piece of technology and the insides of its amp are art.

...Yep i know i am dreaming....thanks for bringing me back to reality .....Papa takes his art to the limit of simplicity just to show us what he can do and what we canoget.....i hate ZM......

sometimes.......:devilr:

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
ZM ,

What about a spooky Sony or Tokin THF-51S V-FET DEFISIT ...for those who have them ;) ?

quick glance on U-I graph is showing that thingie can be squeezed in M2-like circuit ...... back of napkin calc is predicting that there is volt or so of space between gates, where we can squeeze transistor part of optocoupler

that's on paper ; for developing thing in vivo , one needs to have Tokin , rest of parts , decent measuring setup and plenty of time ....... mostly to play with values of source resistors ...... to achieve best tempco behavior ( OK - optocoupler is really magical part there) and adequate THD spectra

I don't have Tokin , and always lacking in time :p

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
quick glance on U-I graph is showing that thingie can be squeezed in M2-like circuit ...... back of napkin calc is predicting that there is volt or so of space between gates, where we can squeeze transistor part of optocoupler

that's on paper ; for developing thing in vivo , one needs to have Tokin , rest of parts , decent measuring setup and plenty of time ....... mostly to play with values of source resistors ...... to achieve best tempco behavior ( OK - optocoupler is really magical part there) and adequate THD spectra

I don't have Tokin , and always lacking in time :p

..On the other hand you have fantastic proper disposal machine for Drek....heheheh

@ Soundhappy

Just seeing Nelson Pass doing his magic is the brighter side of life......but i still hate ZM.

Last edited: