Burning Amp 2017 Updates Thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2010
Paid Member
ACA 1.1

Now using 24V power supplies!

Twice the power, half the distortion, in a single compact less expensive case!

SLR input on the back for balanced bridged operation.

I will be first in line to buy the kit.

Last edited:
Is there already a movie with Nelson's BAF2017 talk online? can't find anything...

Linear Systems hired a professional video guy for this year, and the 4 presentations will be posted on YouTube. Will take a while for them to be edited and posted..

It's take few days to edit video content from BAF2017.
Little pattience this be available very soon :)

Do You see this Mr Pass documentation gift to DiyAudio Community :

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass...ve-contents-2017-burning-amp.html#post5242779

:checked: :house:

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The Two B1's

B1 Transformer: Adding a transformer allows 0, 6, or 12db gain. (6db is the sweet spot.)

B1 Korg: Adding the Korg NuTube triode adds up to 7% of pure negative phase 2nd harmonic and 19 db of gain (more than Nelson would like, but it's the sweet spot so what are ya gonna do?).

Boards should be available from the DIY store, maybe in a kit with the transformer or NuTube.

-Tom-

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
The Two DEF Amps

The DEF amp delivers 50 watts per channel with stellar distortion numbers. Matching the depletion mode part and the (?other kind of part?) is pretty fiddly, so only suitable for the DIY crowd, whose time is free and likes fiddly stuff.

The DEFiSIT amp uses the Pass SIT-1 parts. It is tuned to provide a moderate amount of that negative phase 2nd harmonic that many people like.

And of yes, both use transformers, which seems to be the theme of the show this year.

Looks like the DEF amp is headed to the DIY audio store.

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
The Two LX Mini Crossovers

Nelson designed two crossovers for Siegfried Linkwitz's LX Mini loudspeakers, which are normally handled with bi-amping and DSP.

One is a two-way, and the other adds a sub as well. Not much I can say other than the boards are works of art, with a matrix of repeated modules.

These apparently will also be released to the DIY community.

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Nelson designed two crossovers for Siegfried Linkwitz's LX Mini loudspeakers, which are normally handled with bi-amping and DSP.

One is a two-way, and the other adds a sub as well. Not much I can say other than the boards are works of art, with a matrix of repeated modules.

These apparently will also be released to the DIY community.

I understood these can be used for the SAL open baffle project also? Did Nelson mention that too?

Attachments

• 99D004BB-47BF-40E0-9A67-D914CAF15D53.jpg
    99D004BB-47BF-40E0-9A67-D914CAF15D53.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 947
Had a great time at BAF 2017

I had a great time at BAF 2017. It seemed very well organized. Talking to other diyer's is always great. The presentations were very interesting. I enjoyed the audio test equipment history lesson. Nelson's presentation was a lot fun and very informative. It's great to see that he really seems to enjoy building audio equipment. Looking forward to next year.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Pass Headphone Amp, Sony VFET Amp

Someone who was there for the whole of Wayne Colburn's presentation should say something about the headphone amp. Two or three of them with different active devices were available to audition in the Pass room. Boards should be available in the DIY Audio Store soon.

Did I hear that this could double as a pre-amp as well?

One more item from Nelson Pass's presentation. There will be another round of devices for the Sony VFET amp available through the DIY Audio store. They had kept a large number back as spare parts, but since no-one has been able to break one a large portion of the "spare" parts will be released.

Sounds like the B1 Korg would be great for an F4!

:up: now counting K170 spares for that Korg B1 (darn, only two left...).

Papa is killing me!! Each time I have "a plan" to wrap up this hobby as my systems are getting already so good, he pulls another one from his hat and off we go after the holly grail again. and this year offerings are just incredible :spin:

I already decided to try ACA 2 since tube-like sound quality was implied before, but the specs in BAF slide look a bit different than these:?
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/310169-m2-story-3.html#post5155039

p.s. Papa if you are already planning ahead for 2018: I already ordered J74/K170 input pairs for that tbd amp for my spare K1530/J201s; (that could be a good project btw as those are still available matched from Spencer plus a lot of them people bought before from NicMac and I imagine a few are still around..). just thinking out loud..

Last edited:
I would like to thank everyone at this event. Everyone was very pleasant and information was abound. I especially like to thank Mark for auditioning different amp, including my own.
My amp was very underpowered, barely drove the speakers with any vokume, but it is a SET amp 6L6...its no powerhouse by any means. I will be going next year and go for volunteer and a full stay. Thanks again everyone!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.