Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Burning Amp 2017 Updates Thread
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd November 2017, 07:18 AM   #171
Zen Mod is online now Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod View Post

anyone remembering in which thread exactly we were posting that ?

Silly Moi , as always

Most Greedy Boy, of them all... or (there is no) DEFiSIT of Papa's Koans
Old 13th January 2018, 06:19 PM   #172
WBS is offline WBS  United States
diyAudio Member

Can anyone share some details about these open baffles that were on display? Whose were they? Were they bi-amped? I remember them sounding way better than I would have expected, especially the bass with such a small baffle.

Thanks Russ for the photos of the event!
Old 13th January 2018, 09:10 PM   #173
russbutton is offline russbutton  United States
diyAudio Member

Default crossover

I don't remember if there was a passive or active crossover for that speaker. The photos suggest it was separate amps for both drivers. As I recall, the exhibitor was more about the class D amps he was using than the loudspeakers, which were just a last moment throw together.
Old 13th January 2018, 09:39 PM   #174
CharlieLaub is offline CharlieLaub  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBS View Post
Can anyone share some details about these open baffles that were on display?
These were mine. Happy to answer any questions about them, but RE the bass... did you notice the dipole subs on the floor? as Russ says, they were kind of a last minute thing. I put them together only during the couple of weeks leading up to the show.

Actually, a funny gotcha happened with the subs. I set up the filters wrong and they were not properly equalized. I thought it was just the room being boomy (which it was to some extent). Nope, it was a mistake on my part.

I still haven't unpacked these since the show. I liked their potential and wanted to redo them with a different woofer eventually, but I don't have a good place where I can set them up at the moment.

Anyway these were an attempt at a minimal-baffle OB for about 100Hz and up. The tweeter is the Peerless TG9, the 8 ohm version and the woofer is an old Focal 12" unit. I had a linux computer doing the crossover in software with a USB "preamp" interface connected to the computer that could control the volume, which input was being used, etc. That's also a project that I still have not unpacked since the show!

Drop me a line if you have questions about anything in particular.

Last edited by CharlieLaub; 13th January 2018 at 09:45 PM.
Old 14th January 2018, 06:48 AM   #175
WBS is offline WBS  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks Charlie! I appreciate your reply. I saw the subs but wasn't sure if they were hooked up. I was just really impressed by how seamless and balanced they sounded. I found your post describing your speakers on the techtalk page at partsexpress.
Old 15th January 2018, 12:08 PM   #176
Vix is offline Vix  Yugoslavia
diyAudio Member

I was thinking about something, and while my thought is a bit distorted on that subject, I was wondering where is the apptopriate place on this forum to discuss that. Since I heard/watched Nelson Pass presentation on BAF 2017, and I have experienced some phenomena he mentioned there, maybe we could mention it here, or, maybe someone might point to the more appropriate thread.
So: Distortion. It is always there. Then, absolute phase. It is asways there, too. I noticed changes in the wuality of sound depending on the absolute phase (let's imagine that there is a single fullrange speaker playing), so it does not sound the same whether it is connected in phase or out of phase (but both speakers), although in theory it shouldn't be notticeable, and maybe some people don't notice the difference, but...
Second, the distortion spectra, second vs third, tjeir total quantity in the singnal and the relative amount of one vs the other (second and third harmonics). These depend on both the amp topology and the loudnness.
The result is: with certain amps, certain loudnes, cettain phase, the sound gets magical. Change something and the magic is gone. And no, I did not smoke!
Nelson mentioned something about this in his presentation, but I would like to discuss more.
Maybe that would explain why I enjoy Jfet Boz with J310 jfet with F3 amp more than some other combinations that should sound better on paper...
On one occasion I heard Hiraga le monstre amp, 8w, and liked it very much. Like tasting your favorite food:a certain amount of sugar, (second harmonic), salt (third harmonic), more baked (positive phase distortion), less baked (negative phase distrtortion)...
Now, Chef, how do you make it so tasty....
Old 15th January 2018, 12:25 PM   #177
indra1 is offline indra1  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vix View Post
... Now, Chef, how do you make it so tasty....
Don't you forget the type and vintage year of the wine you had with it.
Old 15th January 2018, 04:57 PM   #178
Nelson Pass is offline Nelson Pass  United States
The one and only

Like anyone else who wants to be top chef, you experiment and then you
taste. Eventually both these activities get you somewhere.
Old 15th January 2018, 06:08 PM   #179
Zen Mod is online now Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

faith , cojones , green , work
Old 25th August 2018, 10:03 AM   #180
Soundhappy is offline Soundhappy  France
diyAudio Member

BAF 2018

Burning Amp Festival 2018, DIY Audio’s Premiere International Festival, Set For September 30th in San Francisco - Dagogo

Burning Amp 2018! New DIY projects !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EBFACA42-9C5B-434D-ACD9-1F7F1EFE99CE.JPG (16.3 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg D8448CF2-0AB9-4D07-A3BF-19FF7A5C778F.JPG (182.8 KB, 188 views)

Burning Amp 2017 Updates ThreadHide this!Advertise here!