Can I build one?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I love to build things, and I am not a complete beginner when working with either wood or metal.
But I have never build an amplifier or something like that.
I can solder - so far so good.

But, can I build one of these Pass Labs amplifiers, maybe phone amplifier.
Can I as an absolute beginner build something like that?
If I follow a build guide but without really knowing what I am doing will I get something that works and work well?
Also, what will I need of tools?
I got solder station, and a multimeter (and a lot of what I will can normal/basic tools) but what else will I need?

And a bonus question :)
How is the best way to get basic knowledge about amplifiers etc.?

I hope this is not stupid questions but as funny as it is to make something well it is even better when it works :)

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Don't rush your project.
Measure each resistor and check it's wattage before soldering on to the board.
Check all parts that have polarity: diodes, electrolytic capacitors and semiconductors and make sure you are installing them in the correct orientation on the boards.
Install small parts first: resistors, diodes, caps and semiconductors last.
Leave a space under higher wattage resistors so they can get air around them.

With semiconductors, as well as other parts, download the spec sheets and study the part's leads and what they are named. Find corresponding positions on the board.

Think about, meditate and obsess over what you will do next before you do it.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Hi

I hope this is not stupid questions but as funny as it is to make something well it is even better when it works :)

Not a stupid question. Read the Zen articles on passdiy.com. Start with Zen amp version 1.

Watch videos on youtub.com on how amplifiers works. They focus on mosfets amps around here, so look for mosfets class A amps.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
....without really knowing what I am doing will I get something that works and work well?...

A friend worked at an electronics factory, soldering cans and crunchy-caps by rote. NO understanding of electronics. Only a dim understanding what the product was. It happens I had one of those UHF converters and it worked fine.

At Fender, Fisher, and essentially all audio factories, 99.44% of the work is done by women with fine finger skills and no electronics training. The work is transitioning to robots, which maybe "are" electronic, but do not "know" electronics.

Knowing what you are doing may be a bonus, or may get in the way. I see people who start throwing-in "improvements" with only partial understanding, and this sometimes goes wrong. I try to put my deep theory to the back of my mind and wire blindly according to the layout I have worked out or found.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
answer in detail

Ok, full answers!

I love to build things, and I am not a complete beginner when working with either wood or metal.
But I have never build an amplifier or something like that.
I can solder - so far so good.

But, can I build one of these Pass Labs amplifiers, maybe phone amplifier.
Can I as an absolute beginner build something like that?

Absolutely - there's heaps of options, so spell out a goal and budget and the community here will give you a hand.

If I follow a build guide but without really knowing what I am doing will I get something that works and work well?

Yes! And if it doesn't work then the folks here will help you out debugging it, and you'll learn heaps about how it should have worked ;)

Also, what will I need of tools?
I got solder station, and a multimeter (and a lot of what I will can normal/basic tools) but what else will I need?

a set of side cutters? I think you'll be fine.

Read and build. I'd start with the articles on FIRST WATT ARTICLES and work your way through them, or start with the f5 article and there's a pretty solid grounding.

I made a chipamp first (it was really simple to do and still works great today, and was reasonably cheap to do) and then graduated up to the big power supply, big metal, class A builds here in pass labs land.

Fair! But if it doesn't work, you'll learn even more, and the worst that can happe is you're left with a chassis and a transformer for the next project ;)

Thank you everybody for your nice replies.

Seems like I will have to choose what to build and get started!

To bad the Amp Camp Amp kit is sold out - seems like a good place to start and get some basic skills.
I think I will try and find the parts myself and make it anyway - properly a good idea anyway then I can find places to buy the parts :)

Joined 2007
Paid Member
My first project ever was one channel of the zen amplifier built point to point on perf board. It was powered by a lab DC power supply with an iPod as input and a cheesy little speaker connected. Hearing music from something I had actually built was exhilarating! On a very small scale I was able to experience each step in the process of amp building. If you're starting a journey as a hobbyist I would suggest you start there or someplace similar.

And yes, YOU can absolutely build an amp!

Still available in my first GB, ACA PCB: part list attached.

Very busy, no progress on mechanical side!

JP

Attachments

• IMG_1521.JPG
    IMG_1521.JPG
    607 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_1524.JPG
    IMG_1524.JPG
    607.2 KB · Views: 286
  • ACA_Part_List.zip
    10.6 KB · Views: 45
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.