Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

First Watt J2 speaker experience
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th October 2017, 11:37 PM   #11
res07njc is offline res07njc  United States
diyAudio Member

I had a pair of 12 inch RCA Victor alnico speakers borrowed from my grandmother's console (sorry grandma! God rest her soul) that I sold Years ago on ebay when I needed some money. They went to someone in Korea, but since then I've searched high and low to get them back. They would literally be the perfect mid-low end to low power SS amping. Much cheaper than Tannoy, but then I'd still need to mate them to the upper end. I will get those back some day and figure all of this out.
Old 30th October 2017, 11:46 PM   #12
Hikari1 is offline Hikari1  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devoto View Post
Hi-
This is my first post on this site so please forgive any inadvertent etiquette or technical errors.
I bought a FW J2 about a year ago and love it. Tried it with my Harbeth 30.1 speakers (8 ohm/~85 dB), lifeless and really not good. Tried it with my JM Reynaud Twins (4 ohm 89 dB), much better, and great for an affordable speaker (I got those used for a few hundred dollars about 12 years ago).
I thought the amp was capable of more so took a 2.5 hour trip to an audio shop with interesting speakers, brought my amp (and FW pre also). Sources were my Pono player with hi-res files and the shop's TT (Well Tempered, Dynavector tonearm, Ortofon cartridge, German tubed phono stage---I could look up make/model, don't remember off the top of my head).
Consonance full range speaker: yuch. Devore O93: good, not great. At this point the shop owner was well into a long speech about inferiority of solid state. Falcon Acoustics Ram Studio 30: holy f$#@. Shop owner's head snapped around--"oh, I see what you mean about this amp...". They are new speakers--I bought serial number 12!
Just my experience, but if you're looking for a match to the J2 and you can listen to these you may want to.
Oh, BTW, the sound was OF COURSE way better with TT than Pono. I had brought some records so was able to listen to familiar music.
Best wishes
Mark
I am pretty surprised the big 3-way was the speaker that sounded the best. Your findings are opposite of what I would have thought would work. At least on paper. Very interesting...
Old 31st October 2017, 12:18 AM   #13
2 picoDumbs is offline 2 picoDumbs  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod View Post
as custom speaker box for regular FW speaker , that's not so economic solution

Yeah. Had to buy the bloody tv just for the box.
Hahaha
Old 31st October 2017, 08:26 AM   #14
Vix is offline Vix  Yugoslavia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 picoDumbs View Post
Prototype 1.5 way done on open baffle (TV box).

The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread

This method works extremely well ie boosting bass response like this.
One can use this too
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG2251-1024x1820.jpg (337.1 KB, 465 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG2254-1024x1820.jpg (312.1 KB, 449 views)
Old 31st October 2017, 08:28 AM   #15
2 picoDumbs is offline 2 picoDumbs  Australia
diyAudio Member

Nice one.
Old 31st October 2017, 08:32 AM   #16
WalterW is offline WalterW  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
isn't it time for proper FW speakers , then ?

Mighty Moi - modest as always ....... it can be something as this :

Sonido , (almost) 1,5 Way speakers by ZM , Woland Edition | Zen Mod Blog

Beautiful speaker ZM. Your local Woodmeister did a great job with the veneer. Must have been a lot of work.
Old 31st October 2017, 11:49 AM   #17
devoto is offline devoto  United States
diyAudio Member

Me too!

I neglected to make the point that the take away message from this, for me anyway, is that the J2 is very sensitive to speaker matching and that the speakers with which it works best aren't necessarily what I would have expected--for example, it works very well with my 4 ohm JM Reynaud's.

Also, I don't think the fact that it didn't sound good with some of the other speakers means they're not good speakers. I love my Harbeths with my other amp, and the Devores are I know very highly regarded in general.

The shop owner said he had never come across an amp so sensitive to speaker matching.
Old 31st October 2017, 01:35 PM   #18
devoto is offline devoto  United States
diyAudio Member

This (above) was meant as a reply to Hikari1. I clearly don't have the hang of posting on this site yet...
Old 6th December 2017, 02:36 AM   #19
jeffharr is offline jeffharr
diyAudio Member

I recently built a system using a FW B2, and a J2 driving Wayne Parham's Pi-7's. Haven't heard better.
Old 6th December 2017, 05:10 AM   #20
PKI is offline PKI  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
isn't it time for proper FW speakers , then ?

Mighty Moi - modest as always ....... it can be something as this :

Sonido , (almost) 1,5 Way speakers by ZM , Woland Edition | Zen Mod Blog
ZM I can recommend you a way better tweeter from slavic cousins ;-)

First Watt J2 speaker experienceHide this!Advertise here!