Build This MoFo!

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
When you use a MOT as choke, does it make any difference if you remove the magnetic shunts?

What magnetic shunts? There is nothing removable with the MOTs - the steel plates are air-gapped and welded together with a thin bead on two of the edges.

Have you checked if there is a lot of cross talk with those MOTs so close together ?

No, but nothing immediately audible. If there is any, a simple orthogonal orientation like how two coils on a crossover are oriented should take care of that.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
No, can’t say I ever opened up a MOT with chisel, hammer and hacksaw. The design called for a circa 50mH to 67mH inductor with low DCR and > 4A capability so I think it fits the bill as is. I would not want to chance ruining the primary by hacking/hammering into it. We are only using the primary.

Interesting video though. The guy replaced the shunts when he wound the secondary. So they are not needed when only using the primary?

yes, he completely removed the shunts.....
the shunts were used to limit currents....

i would have wanted him to measure inductance with and without those shunts...
what makes me iffy with MOT's is the lack of air gaps, they are butted.....
other than that, i think they are fine...

primary wires on that MOT are like #16 so the low dcr.....

50 to 67mH air coils are possible..

there are online coil designers that can be used...Coil design and inductance calculator

Last edited:
at a current levels of upwards of 1A, the air gaps could be in the 1/8 inch or 3 mm, more with more currents, so that the actual gap is in the 1mm since there are three gaps..

i deal with MOT's a lot, but the one thing i disliked about them is the very high magnetizing currents, so i would not use them for more than 30 minutes at a time,

use them lots of hours and they will fry eggs, sunny side...

but for this MOFO project, they will be probably okey to use..

Last edited:
One reason for a MoFo to die is disconnecting the DC power supply at the amp. This causes the magnetic field in the coil to collapse and sends a kickback voltage through the zener and the mosfet, killing both of them. This can be solved by adding a 1,000uF cap at the DC input to the amp (prevents the rapid coil collapse), or switching the AC mains off rather than abruptly removing the DC power supply.

Some exploration of this is here: Build This MoFo!

Here were some measurements that I made using a MOFO with a microwave oven transformer (MOT) with measured inductance of circa 67mH, 0.5ohm DCR.

Build This MoFo!

4Vpp into 8ohms:

O-scope 26.8Vpp into 8ohms for 11wrms:

9.6Vpp 1kHz square wave:

The MOTs look like this and are typically $25 to $40 on eBay (keyword search "MD-803AMR"):

And here is what my build using MOTs looks like:

ok, this is very cheap but are you sure this have air-gap to support the DC current without saturation ?

ok, this is very cheap but are you sure this have air-gap to support the DC current without saturation ?

my thoughts too, but the presence of magnetic shunts in the MOT prevents core saturation, it looked to me, that he did not bother to remove those, even the high voltage and the filament windings, the hv windings pose a huge hazard if not properly taken care of....so every one who wanted to use MOT's are properly warned...

Last edited:
Schematic? cap bank size/configuration, mosfet - IRF250? choke? just thinking of the current pulse...

schematic same as MR pdf file.
mosfet IRF240
cap bank 2x 10mF
choke 12mH 0.2ohm

even when i try to put fuse from positive rail to the drain, it will blow the fuse and also break the mosfet in 1 second, with 10A transformer.

but that not happen with 3-5A transformer and singing well too.