Build This MoFo!

Just for my technical interest I asked what the weight would be for a 1 mOhm choke. 40 kg and price just below $1000 each (incl Danish tax). That would be the ultimate MoFo choke. I think not many chokes of this size exists in private homes.
The 20 mV DC I get (2.5A bias) with the 20 kg choke will probably not harm the performance of 15" woofer which handles frequencies below 180 Hz. But only 2-3 mV DC using the 40 kg choke is tempting.

I got a message today from the transformer company that they had miscalculated the RDC so 8 mOhm is not possible. After recalculate and some optimization 70 mOhm was possible for the 20 kg choke. So I go with that and hope the "large" 70 mOhm RDC will ensure stable bias. It will be with output capacitors. I could have cancelled the order and got Hammond 193 instead but now I want to see how the big choke performs. The next step was a type UI 210A core where RDC would be approx. 32 mOhm and the weight is 55 kg. So I think Zen Mod was right that 10 mOhm RDC would be hard to reach for a 50 mH choke.

Reactions: 1 user
AKSA's Lender Preamp with 40Vpp Output
It uses daughter boards to allow you to fine tune the output for whatever amplifier you might be using.
I have built the Pass BA-3, ImPasse, and the Aksa for use with the MoFo and Pass F4 amps. All three are solid performers. From a price point the Aksa is the least expensive to build and probably the most versatile.
All are great sounding.
Enjoy
David

Joined 2000
Paid Member
I'd say more offset than bias, but we have caps on the output...

Michael, ZM has a "word" for that kind of knob.... we should start an official Zengrish dictionary

Cheers,

Max

I destroyed the output stage on a F5T with P3.
Thought it worked like the adjustment on the jfet F6. I was wrong with fireworks to prove it.
I try to avoid from happening again.

If you want a very nice high current, low distortion choke that can provide the measured data shown a few pages above, do a search on eBay for a MOT part number "MD-803AMR-1". These measure about 67mH and 0.47ohm DCR.

Coming late to this but always on the hunt for a bargain.

In the UK I have found some MOTs reference MD-803EMR-1. I take it that the specifications are unlikely to be significantly different to the US one above and could well suit this project?

Also if I can get hold of 4, would it be safe to assume that a slightly higher supply voltage to offset the additional dc resistance of two of these in series might be beneficial, or is little sonic improvement likely with double the inductance?

Attachments

• MOT.jpg
    MOT.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 980

In the UK I have found some MOTs reference MD-803EMR-1. I take it that the specifications are unlikely to be significantly different to the US one above and could well suit this project?

Also if I can get hold of 4, would it be safe to assume that a slightly higher supply voltage to offset the additional dc resistance of two of these in series might be beneficial, or is little sonic improvement likely with double the inductance?

Hi Mike

if that doesn't work out I have 2 hammond 159zc from the mofo you saw at Owston. They won't be doing anything as I'm concentrating on the pp amp. let me know if interested.

Gentlemen, which one should I get for the big MoFo? The 193V or the 195T5 (0.1H, 5A and DCR 0.64R). I can get the 195T5 cheaper than the 193V locally.

Regards

I would go for the 195T5 (sufficient inductance, lots of headroom for amperage, lesser DC resistance than 193V)

On the downside:
Postage may be more expensive as it is 50% heavier than 193V
195T5 is open frame....

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member

I don’t think you need more inductance than 50uH to 100uH - it serves to store energy to give a higher peak-peak outpt than available from the rail voltage.