Build This MoFo!

... rapidely... MoFo meets UMS and spades allowed...

JP

Attachments

• MoFo_UMS.png
    MoFo_UMS.png
    253.4 KB · Views: 3,447
  • MoFo_UMS_UP.png
    MoFo_UMS_UP.png
    583 KB · Views: 3,360
Xrk971, that big 10lb coil of #10 wire will have about 4.5 more ohms of dc resistance so your maxium voltage swing would be reduced by about 7.5V . And one thing I would worry about with big air core coils is if you wern't careful there might be some mutual inductance, About the concern about the distortion in these iron core chokes if it indead turns out to be a problem a possible solution was talked about on Tube Cad and even used in this very old OTL. If you look at the circuite a small aircore coil in in seriese with the much larger iron core inductor. Sort of like we use a quality bypass cap across a big electrolitic

Attachments

• otlse.jpg
    otlse.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 3,299
... rapidely... MoFo meets UMS and spades allowed...

JP

From original MoFo 2 caps to 9 pcs.
Haha 18 caps stereo !!
Only 12 steel spades for two chanels + 2 connection's for free :rofl:
Cheap gold and diamonds and let's go maximalism.
Simple builds are too easy i guess....what about SMD tiny microscopic thick film resistors
or MP3 players for "Audiophiles" :D:yikes:

Attachments

• FC6FD10F-1254-44E5-B6B7-9A41D4B5F131.JPG
    FC6FD10F-1254-44E5-B6B7-9A41D4B5F131.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 942
  • 34021FD2-27C7-4CC0-BDFD-3B32F09144A7.JPG
    34021FD2-27C7-4CC0-BDFD-3B32F09144A7.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 2,944
  • 0548EDE7-8B89-41C1-B163-93B02FCBA224.JPG
    0548EDE7-8B89-41C1-B163-93B02FCBA224.JPG
    770.4 KB · Views: 3,211
Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Thank you very much for the elect-tech fiction(?)...Beginners...What is "P1 minimum setting"...

Thanks, I think that's a fair point so I cleared it up in the text a little and I'll give it some attention in the video as well.

And, thanks much for the reference to technical articles disguised as stories. I was trying to come up with some examples. :)

Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Any thoughts on suitable preamps? This looks like a very nice project, especially for first time builders.

A lot of preamps could get the job done. A lot of tube preamps certainly have high output capability. SY's Impasse for sure. I think the good 'ol BOSOZ would swing a lot. It depends on the efficiency of your speakers and the amount of power you want, etc.

A spiffy Pass XP might be fun. :)

@Soundhappy

In the ACA thread, Mr. Pass recommended paralleling of n+1 ELNA Silmic capacitor!

For experimentation, place holder for MKC one (I´ve a big batch Vishay´s 1860 from Pollin).

2mm holes for spade hater.

Vishay/Dale resistors.

Finishing dummy definition for input coupling capacitors to fit different manufacturer ones (Mundorf EVO showned).

Placing done, breadbord for evaluation can be start before finishing PCB.

JP

Mr. Rothacher boards existing therefore I´ll never GB my board!

I pick up the design to build one for my own listening pleasure, and yes also for mp3 listening. Just DIY!

Merci/Danke/Thank you Mr. Rothacher

P.S. same procedure and rules for my own Korged B1!

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Xrk971, that big 10lb coil of #10 wire will have about 4.5 more ohms of dc resistance so your maxium voltage swing would be reduced by about 7.5V . And one thing I would worry about with big air core coils is if you wern't careful there might be some mutual inductance, About the concern about the distortion in these iron core chokes if it indead turns out to be a problem a possible solution was talked about on Tube Cad and even used in this very old OTL. If you look at the circuite a small aircore coil in in seriese with the much larger iron core inductor. Sort of like we use a quality bypass cap across a big electrolitic

Thanks for the bypass choke tip! Trying to wrap my head around it but now makes perfect sense. The inductance on the big MoFo steel core may drop off at higher frequency. Which is where you want the air core to kick in. Cool!

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
....technical articles disguised as stories. I was trying to come up with some examples. :)

Duh!! How could I forget...

John T Frye, Popular Electronics. Carl and Jerry have many electronic adventures. (Frye was an interesting dude too.)

Mac's Radio Service Shop, wise old tech and young kid fixing radios and TVs (and a trip to the hospital when Frye himself had gall-stones). Much Mac can be found on American Radio History.

Barrie Gilbert, guru at the analog.com lanes, wrote several future-fantasies about a Dr Leif in the year 2025, imagining that current-mode design took over the world. Published in Analog Dialog starting around volume 39 number 4.