Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Build This MoFo!
Build This MoFo!
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th December 2018, 06:38 AM   #1621
MEPER is offline MEPER  Denmark
diyAudio Member

BA-3 pre is also the preamp I will use for MoFo. I am working at the PSU in the moment and have all the parts for BA-3 pre…….apart from the attenuator.
Old 7th December 2018, 12:12 PM   #1622
jostwid is offline jostwid  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noviygera View Post
What will I need to drive the MoFo properly?
you will have to answer two questions to yourself:

"How many volts input into Mofo do i need to get the listening volume i like out of my speakers"

"What kind of distortion would i like to add to the Mofo sound (which is rather neutral..)"

Myself i use the following 4
BA3
LuminAria

NuHybrid (Korg triode with buffer by Pete Millet) in two versions:
without step-up transformer (for high efficiency speakers and low volume)
with step-up transformer
Old 8th December 2018, 11:29 AM   #1623
prazza1 is offline prazza1  France
diyAudio Member

If the preamp has not enough gain, what do you think about connecting an input transformer of 1:4 for instance. What about driving the Mosfet and the frequency response?
Old 8th December 2018, 12:06 PM   #1624
diyAudio Member

I am building the BA-3 pre because it has a lot of gain. It is made for power amps that has no voltage gain. In the moment I use a preamp which has max. 10 dB of gain. This is fine for MoFo with 94 dB speakers. It is only low level recordings where I am close to the 10 dB the preamp can deliver. If I want to play very loud I may need a bit more than 10 dB but I also build BA-3 because of other qualities…..
Old 8th December 2018, 03:32 PM   #1625
prazza1 is offline prazza1  France
diyAudio Member

I would like to use it in biamp in high frequencies since around 300 Hz to up. Maybe I can reduce the value of the choke from 50 mH to what ?
Old 9th December 2018, 12:04 AM   #1626
diyAudio Member

This issue has been discussed a lot in this thread…...but can't remember the post numbers. I think the purpose was the same......as far as I remember MR also made some experiments with smaller chokes…...maybe he remember where to look back in this thread.

Build This MoFo!Hide this!Advertise here!